engine won't start

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by stevesmowing, Jun 8, 2004.

1. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

hey guys i got a kawasaki fb460v 12.5 horse engine on my encore 48k100 walk behind mower. I was out mowing and left the mower to move an obeject and the opperator precence lever unlached and shut off the mower. I tried pushing it down and starting and got nothing. I tried putting in a new plug and spraying starting fluild in it. Tried bypassing the encore electrical part too, so i just had the kawasaki and its wires and have nothing. Yes i have gas lol. I removed the plug and held it against the engine with the wire on the end and had no spark. Tried a new plug still nothing. Its weird and it just died all the sudden. My only thought is the coil. I hate to spend $50 on it if its not the problem n e one have n e ideas of what else to test or what to do or anything? It doesn't even start to fire. I got yards that are growing like all of us lol. Help would be much great! Thanks

2. Mikes Machines

Mikes Machines LawnSite Member

Most power equipment engines ground the ignition to stop the spark. The safety switches are either normaly closed or normaly open. There are usually several switches on any given machine. I would suspect a safety switch malfunction from your description. A wiring diagram is needed to know which switches are supposed to do what. Check each switch for continuity. There also may be a kill switch at the carb area that is triggered when you pull the throttle all the way closed. It is not impossible but a coil very rarely fails. Hope this helps.

3. S&H Lawn Care Inc

S&H Lawn Care Inc LawnSite Member
    from va

I am not sure if its your problem but on a few of my kaw's that had this problem it was the starter cap I guess you could call it. It is about a 1" square metal cap that assists in starting. Its been awhile since I had the problem but I think it was about 80 bucks. I hope this helps and that you get going again.

4. chuckscar

chuckscar LawnSite Member

just one thing to say. lol (igniter) (Igniter) opps that two

part number may be 21119-2101 call me with your model and type or spec # 904-276-9417 i will look it up for you and tell kaw price is not what dealer think it should sell for, 15 year repair this thing, i seen a lot of b.s. cell me see what i can do!

chuck

5. stevesmowing

It was the igniter i read the message once i got back home from picking a new one up. I think it was way over priced i paid $50 one catalog wanted $68 another dealer $80 i found a dealer that i got it for $50 at. At least i am up and running now thanx. Just for kicks whats should they be running price wise?

6. chuckscar

the igniter pt#21119-2101 sub to 21119-2161 kaw list price is $66.09 are price 54.99 + freight is is for fb kaw would need model & spec for proper igniter for yours

what type of mower and trimmer etc are you using,
    have you tried gator blades, did you know that there are two different types of gator blades, gator mulcher and gator mulcher magnum

7. stevesmowing

whats the difference between gator mulching and gator mulcher magnum

8. chuckscar

first i have to correct my shelf.

there are 3 different gator blades

1st gator mulcher for normal conditions, fits sears, Murray, Mtd, etc.

2nd gator mulcher hi-lift wet grass or bagging this blade has 40% more lift than reg gator blades.

3rd gator mulcher Magnum are 25% thicker and have the 40% more lift.

what in your wallet or should i say mower

from what i see here encore OEM # 483035 (this could be any old number) Oregon offers gator mulcher hi-lift for your mower
    list price $15.01 each i sell them for $7.95 each + freight