Engine won't turnover

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mark_the_psycho, Oct 28, 2005.

1. mark_the_psycho

mark_the_psycho LawnSite Member

I have an '86-ish Snapper rear engine riding mower and it won't turn over when I turn the key. I can start it with the cord from a warm engine but I haven't tried from a cold engine. I need to get the electric start fixed because the cord occasionally gets to a point halfway through the pull where it darn near rips your arm off (or it causes me to actually tilt the mower on its two side wheels momentarily, it's that bad). I know it's not the battery because it was replaced in June of this year. :help:

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Post the model and spec. numbers off the engine so we can tell what were dealing with.

3. mark_the_psycho

Model No. 3012X6SR

Engine Model No. WI-450V

4. mark_the_psycho

Engine Spec. No. 800468

5. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Is there any sound at all when you turn the key? Clicking, maybe the sound of a starter turning?

If there is no sound, did you check all the wiring? Make sure everything is connected and tight. This is a big one, make sure the negative ground (s) is clean and tight with a good metal to metal to connection. Sometimes just a little bit of rust can cause problems. It may be possible that your ignition switch is bad. When you turn it, does it "feel" the same as previously when the engine started?

Just some things to check.

6. mark_the_psycho

Sometimes yes sometimes no.

7. VegetiveSteam

VegetiveSteam LawnSite Senior Member

What is the compression?

8. Restrorob

Sounds like you may have two problems, One being a starter solenoid acting up and the other being a possible compression release issue. (maybe valves out of adjustment) I looked around and couldn't find any specs. on this engine so I can't help with a possible valve adjustment.
    Sorry
    Good Luck

9. mark_the_psycho

It decided to start working again today. :confused:

10. Restrorob

A starter solenoid will act that way sometimes. ;)