Engineered retaining wall - to level the yard

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by quan, Apr 8, 2013.

1. quan

quan LawnSite Member

Thank you Ztman! The report you mentioned - is it something we can even request the builder to provide? Geotech report that shows the amount of fill placed - can it be viewed as an indicator to the quality of construction?
    Since the house is already built, and was completed ~ 6 months ago - in case of major issues related to poor level of fill compaction, shouldn't we see cracks, uneven surface, etc during the planned home inspection?

Thank you for your help and time!

2. ztman

ztman LawnSite Bronze Member

The builder will have the geo tech report as well as the compaction tests. The compaction tests should be on file with the county as well. I am not saying the fill placement was not done properly, but you want to obtain the information to make sure it was done, and done properly. Your home inspector should be able to assist you in obtaining this information. Some times settlement of a home due to improper compaction of soil wont show up for years. You just want to make sure you do your due dilligence before you buy.

3. quan

quan LawnSite Member

Of course, will do. Thank you for your guidance!

4. eatonpcat

eatonpcat LawnSite Bronze Member

Great info ZTman!!

5. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

ZTman,,, what is your thought on slope?
    Is 1" drop for a 10' run adequate for turf???

6. ztman

ztman LawnSite Bronze Member

I think that is the general standard. I dont think he is going to have an issue with fall on this lot. Be interesting to see how the builder will construct such a big retaingin wall if there are going to be houses on each side of this one

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Code, at least in CA, requires 6 inch drop over the first 10 feet from the building (5% slope). If hardscape, or any other impervious surface, falls within that 10 foot zone the minimum slope is 2%. In general the lot should be graded to slope away from the foundation/building, and I believe the general rule of thumb is a 2-3% slope outside the 10 foot zone.