Engines

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mkwl, Jun 10, 2004.

?

Which engine is higher quality and more reliable?

1. Kawasaki

19 vote(s)
    57.6%
  2. Kohler

14 vote(s)
    42.4%
  1. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Which engine is the best qualaty and the most reliable?

1. Kawasaki

2. Kohler

2. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

i would think kawa because of their history with bikes and such. but i could be tottally wrong.

3. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

KUBOTA DIESEL............But if my only choice is Kohler or Kaw I would pick the Kohler. I have had 2 Kaws and both had the ignition coils go out after only 500 hours or less. The Kohler I have has over 1800 hours on the original coils.

4. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Only ever had Kohlers, all have been faultess, great engines!
    Currently have a 28hp EFI V Twin Kohler, only done 90 or so hours but has more power than a 60'' deck needs! Very torquey, very nice engine.

5. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd say Kawasaki. Kohler parts cost an arm and a leg. And according to the printed info I've seen the Kawi's have better torque numbers.

6. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Kawi. I have had very little trouble from mine. If It was 20 years ago I would say kohler. Half of my mowers are kohler powered the other half is Kawi. The kawi seem to sip fuel while kohlers gulp it.

I am with specialtylc on kubota diesels. I haven't had a problem with diesel in my kubota tractor. Wish Wright would put one on a stander. I would buy the first 4 that came off the line.

7. Tim Louis

Tim Louis LawnSite Member

I say Kawi. to those of you who say Kubota diseal, hope you have better luck than I, rebuilt entire engine, over 3 grand