1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mkwl, Jun 10, 2004.

Which engine is higher quality and more reliable?

1. Kawasaki

19 vote(s)
  2. Kohler

14 vote(s)
  1. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Which engine is the best qualaty and the most reliable?

1. Kawasaki

2. Kohler
  2. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

i would think kawa because of their history with bikes and such. but i could be tottally wrong.
  3. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

KUBOTA DIESEL............But if my only choice is Kohler or Kaw I would pick the Kohler. I have had 2 Kaws and both had the ignition coils go out after only 500 hours or less. The Kohler I have has over 1800 hours on the original coils.
  4. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Only ever had Kohlers, all have been faultess, great engines!
    Currently have a 28hp EFI V Twin Kohler, only done 90 or so hours but has more power than a 60'' deck needs! Very torquey, very nice engine.
  5. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd say Kawasaki. Kohler parts cost an arm and a leg. And according to the printed info I've seen the Kawi's have better torque numbers.
  6. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Kawi. I have had very little trouble from mine. If It was 20 years ago I would say kohler. Half of my mowers are kohler powered the other half is Kawi. The kawi seem to sip fuel while kohlers gulp it.

I am with specialtylc on kubota diesels. I haven't had a problem with diesel in my kubota tractor. Wish Wright would put one on a stander. I would buy the first 4 that came off the line.
  7. Tim Louis

Tim Louis LawnSite Member

I say Kawi. to those of you who say Kubota diseal, hope you have better luck than I, rebuilt entire engine, over 3 grand