English Ivy Removal

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by superbee, Jul 28, 2006.

1. superbee

superbee LawnSite Member

I have two lawns where I have to remove some large areas of English ivy and reseed. Has anyone tried using a sod cutter on this stuff? I would like to know if a sod cutter would work before I rent one. Thanks.

2. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I would spray it. Doubt if you will get rid of it allw/ a sod cutter. If you are reseeding the entire thing, then hose the whole area down with Round Up and reseed. If you are going to wait a while until seding, try a broadleaf herbicide like Momentum.

3. superbee

superbee LawnSite Member

Thanks. Roundup sounds like a good idea but I need to remove and discard what's there. Hoping the sod cutter would cut the growth loose so we could throw it in the rolloff. Not looking forward to hand digging that much ivy.

4. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I think if it is not killed, it will come back if you do not get deep enough.
    I had ivy in some areas and killed it with roundup, then momentum, and the little that was left I pulled out.
    I do not think I would use a sod cutter, but a good heavy tiller to dig up area after the ivy is dead. But that is just me....

5. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

We usually have best results when we just pull it up by hand, time consuming but it comes up pretty easy.

Jeff

6. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

I agree.This is the only way I've found to do it. One guy pulls it back with a road rake while two guys grub it out with spades. Tillers don't work, you'll just clog the tines. Round-up has no effect on ivy. Momentum will rip it a new one. The next time one of these jobs comes up I was thinking of trying a skid steer with a hoe and clam shell attachments.

7. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

Round up does work on ivy. Had a large amount growing about 15 feet up a tree, covering flower bed and trying to grow over my deck. Two applications about 10 days apart did the trick. Then ripped out dead ivy with a rake and stripped off tree with no harm.

Jeff

8. hughmcjr

hughmcjr LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

I would suggest it has more to do with heat and it was probably in full sun than it was the Roundup that worked alone. And I would bet it killed the foliage but NOT the plant to the root, unless you mixed in deisel?:( Looks for some shoots to resprout. I have used Crossbow on ivy here in Oregon in shaded areas removed and had to repsray two more times. Roundup is NOT a brush killer. And it is virtually impossible to remove ivy completely manually unless you are using heavy equipment and removing soil with a major landscape change.

9. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

We had to remove 1000 sq. ft. of E.I. and return an area to bluegrass last year, what a tough job! 3 apps of trimec & then we had to use the kubota loader bucket to rip it all out, tons of work, i really couldnt believe how much work it was!

10. sancho_man_orlando

sancho_man_orlando LawnSite Member

i just had to pull out about 300 sq ft of this stuff in the front of a house and mulch it. It took 2 of us a bout 3 hours of raking and pulling it up.