English Ivy

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by LawnSharks, May 31, 2008.

1. LawnSharks

LawnSharks LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys, need some advice on getting rid of a large area of English Ivy. Unfortunately, the ivy is near trees and a couple of expensive ornamentals. I talked with my rep at Lesco and he suggested Momentum with RoundUp Pro. Before I mixed these two I checked with my Ag. Extension officer and he concurred that this would do the trick. I mixed it pretty hot but it did nothing but wilt it down. Two weeks later it was if I hadn't done anything.
    Is there anything short of just digging it all up and stay on top of it??
    Any suggestions?

2. GO1965

GO1965 LawnSite Member

Hi there, I live in England and the only way I have found of dealing with ivy is to cut off plant as near to ground as possible and then apply roundup to cut ends. I even tried ivy killer and that didn't work at all.

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Mow it a few times. Reduce the height of cut if the area is smooth enough. Then go with Roundup.

4. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

I had to renno about a thousand sq. ft. of it back to grass a few years ago. I hit it with herbs a few times then had to rip it out with the tractor/loader, what a job! I couldn't believe how tough that plant was!

5. LawnSharks

LawnSharks LawnSite Senior Member

No kidding. The 2-4-D and RoundUp just can't kill it. It knocks it down but man this stuff is the toughest we've ever run into.

6. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I had a customer call last year and wanted me to get rid of their Ivy in a flower bed (4K) last year.

I went in 3 times and after that I just told them to keep mowing it low or weed wack it and maybe they will starve it out.

I found no herbide that was very effective.

Gly and Sythe did brown the leaves, but that was about it!

7. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

This is my first year as a cert applicator, and being a novice, on my first English Ivy eradication job, I kept it simple. It was around a garage, 5X15 behind it, 3X20 on the side, abutting a town owned water drainage sump, which is whre it originated from. It had about 10 leaders climbing up the garage wall exterior, was all over the cyclone fence and was running down the property line into some beds.

I used Roundup Pro at the hottest mix allowed by label. Two weeks later, it had browned just a little. Because of rain, I waited another week, and that third week showed much more die back after the first app. Then I hit it again... same mix. Two weeks after that, it was dead.... in another week, it was so dead it was hard to even identify as English Ivy. Total kill.

Now, I still have to yank the dead growth out.... but given the location, 100% removal isn't needed.... just get it cleaned up.

BTW, I'm pretty sure that I had a LOT of "off target" drift onto the Ivy through the cyclone fence onto town owned property of that drainage reservior.... LOL.... but this stuff is as dead as dead can get.

I have read quite a few "homeowner" type threads on Ivy (other forums), and it was clear, that for whatever reasons, for some a hot glyphosate series of apps worked great.... and for others, not at all.

So, for me, two apps at the highest label mix three weeks apart was very effective. I hope I am as lucky next time.... but given my very limited experience, all I can say is that this worked for me, this time.

8. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

being it is around trees and oranmentals you may need to use a wick to apply the herbicides. my mix is glyphosate, coolpower, and pentra-bark. this does an unbeleavable job of erradicating vegitation. the lable on the coolpower is like that of your standard 'turf' weed control, it's not labled for use in mulch beds, so choose your area wisley and wording also.

9. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Thats right, Cool Power is not labeled for noncrop areas. For vines and brush, I use herbicides with a non crop label such as Garlon, Crossbow or 2,4-D ester. Applying around desireable plants is at your own risk. I have said many times that I do not waste glyphosate on brush. It is much better for nonselective kill of grass. By the time I have put enough glyphosate to phase a vine, I have just bought a lot of 2,4-D.

10. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I had a customer ask to get rid of their ivy, 2 actually, I sprayed it with round up and then wasn't able to get back to it. I went by on one of my runs and you could tell it died, but I waited to long and there were new leaves, tiny leaves, everywhere. So I sent one of my guys out to spray again. Prosecutor seems to work, I figured I would send a guy out about once a week for a few weeks.