English Speaking and American Owned

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Darryl G, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I recently came across a website, actually a guy I know, and in his marketing materials he mentions "English speaking and American owned." I know some customers may find that comforting and might give preference to him because of that, but in my area, I can't think of a single outfit that isn't English speaking and "American" owned. We don't have much of a minority population here.

What do you guys think. Are those statments more of a turn off than an assest on a website? That's what I'm thinking. I know it's not something I would say on my website for fear of offending someone.

2. Classic Lighting

Classic Lighting LawnSite Senior Member

imo, it's an asset. I buy American and support our country whenever possible. I would rather hire a guy from my community than pedro who is just here for a season then goes back and spends his money in Mexico. We, as a society, need to support our fellow Americans and stop spending over money outside the border.

3. Daily Lawn/Landscape

Daily Lawn/Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I have had prospects inquire as to who would be on the property. They want to be able to communicate to all on the property. I don't blame them. My sister had a company up in Columbus, Oh that sent all Hispanic crew and she fired them because she was unable to communicate a problem with the service that day.

James

4. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Yah, but this is the CT shoreline. It's kind of a non issue here, like not really applicable. It just struck me as kind of strange given the area an that all the landscapers around are English speaking and their companies, I presume, are American owned.

5. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

I actually picked up several jobs last season because I was an English speaking white boy. Racist? I wasn't offended by it! I didn't ADVERTISE it that way. When I showed up for the bid however, the customer told me that even though my bid was HIGHER than "the other guy", I was getting the job because he couldn't speak English and she could communicate with him.

6. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i think it is pretty uneeded and maybe slander. you can be american and not speak english, although i may not agree with that. i have never felt the need to promote that, but have often been inquired if we used the normal mexicans for landscaping,haha.

i can say, no, but if they applied/could do the job and we needed help then i would not discriminate! all i care about is if you are a legal citizen.

7. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

the original americans didn't speak english.

8. touhey33

touhey33 LawnSite Senior Member

I stay neutral, I don't think my customers need to know my views and I don't think it would help in getting any business.

9. Alan0354

Alan0354 LawnSite Platinum Member

In here, you'll be sue out of business!!!!:hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:

10. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

it wouldnt work for me. everyone can tell by my name that i am american lol