1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

English Speaking and American Owned

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Darryl G, Mar 4, 2010.

1. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

if your talking from this industry's perspective you could be right......

sorry my post kind of ended up being, on a whole the thought of non english speaking people/immigrants.

2. goodolboyslandscaping

goodolboyslandscaping LawnSite Member

In the end, I believe it all comes down to professionalism. Anyone conducting company to client business should be able to speak, read and write english proficiently. I will not hire anyone if they cannot pass a simple english comprehension test. If I cannot clearly understand what someone is saying to me, I feel no longer obligated to continue with the conversation, as I am sure many clients to as well. It is not discrimination or racism of any kind, it is simply the need for successful comprehension, professional business courtesy and respect to our clients, our business and the foundation this country is built on. Just my two cents.

3. Merkava_4

Merkava_4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Out here in California you'd be hard pressed to find an all white lawn crew ... I've never seen one myself.

4. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I think this post from another thread pretty well tells the story about Gringo grass cutters. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

5. AzLawnMan

AzLawnMan LawnSite Senior Member

I have a very wealthy customer who is from India and has a very heavy accent and speaks broken english, oh and he is 100% american. Born in NY and moved to India as a baby. In Az he owns 9 apartment complexes, 3 hotels and owns several Diamond mines throughout the world. When I met him for a walk through of the properties, should I have said, "Thanks but our conversation is over, because I cant understand you, and by the way I am not interested in the $32k a month you are offering me to maintain your properties" I talk with him on a regular basis and have been serviceing his properties for 5 years now and people cant see how I am able to understand him. $32k a month, thats how. Business, not politics.

6. Merkava_4

Merkava_4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I just realized that I posted my above post in the wrong thread. :eek:

7. thebiggafigga

thebiggafigga LawnSite Member

I think I'm going to put up an "American Owned and Operated" magnet on my truck. What a surprise it will be when a Mexican-American shows up for the walk through and has an education in Ornamental Horticulture. Yes, the typical Caucasian school mate from high school will say "typical Mexican" when I run into him and he finds out what I do for a living. I'm coming out of California so there is a lot of Mexicans here. What is funny is that there are a lot of immigrants from other countries that I have had the pleasure of knowing, ranging from: Denmark, Brasil, Australia, and Bolivia, yet they always seemed to be taken out of the "illegal in this country equation". What is astonishing is that they can speak more languages than any American can in this country, including English!wow. There are more English speaking Mexicans in Mexico than in Austria, funny! our Governor is from Austria too! But other than that it doesn't matter to me! I kind of like being that snake that slithers in the grass ready to attack anyone who tries to talk down on me. Anyways I think it's a good idea and surprise if you put up an "English Speaking" caption on your advertising campaign. Let's see who shows up knocking.