1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Enhancing Stripes on 21"...Any Ideas?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GLS, Jun 26, 2002.

1. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a JD jx75 21" push mower that I mow a lot of smaller properties with. I would like to enhance the stipes somehow. Any ideas on how I could do this? Preferably not with chains, I just don't trust them not going under the deck and ripping off.

Here is a pic of what the mower can do now:
  2. GLS

Here is a pic of what I want to modify.

3. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Ryan, have you checked out www.inventtek.com ?

BTW, the lawn looks great, but you sure you wouldn't rather be hitting that with a 36" wb (at least)? Could easily get it done in half the time.
  4. leprechaun_50

leprechaun_50 LawnSite Member

Just a suggestion, maybe you could do a roller similiar to the one that BushHogBoy has on his rider. For loading and unloading, or for those that don't want stripes you may be able to hinge it. Just something to think about.
    Looks like gogetter has a good idea.
  5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

You already have a striping kit on it!

Just add a steel strap across the bottom of the plastic flap, maybe 3/8" thick 1" steel flat bar. SOmething to give it some weight.

That should do it!

Need new tires too!!!
  6. GLS

Thanks Jonathan...

Actually right after I posted, I found the thread entitled "new 21" striping kit". I had not heard of inventtek until then. Sounds like it would work great, but would it fit my mower?

I would use a larger mower there, but in the front area of the property, the homeowner likes a 21" to be used.

Here is a picture of a different area of the same yard as pictured above.
  7. GLS

I was trying to think of some way to add weight to that...great idea! I'll have to try that.

Yeah I hate those tires. They are good because they don't damage the turf when you take off because they slide easily. But, on hills they get no traction. I wish I would have bought the jx85 instead because it has the steel wheels with rubber tread which would probably work much better. I wonder if I could convert those?

Thanks for the ideas.
  8. Brieldo

Brieldo LawnSite Member

I have the JX85...on those wheels, theres 3 bolts that hold the wheel onto the axle plate. I believe, if things are the same, that on your mower, your wheel is held on by one bolt, correct? I remember goin to JD and they said they didnt mix...but i could bd wrong...
  9. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I made a roller for my Toro rider, it is great, but it doesn't swing up. I also made a roller that replaces the back wheels on my '74 Toro front wheel drive 21" mower (yes self propelled back to '74!). It is welded to the brackets for the back wheels so it's still adjustable. Its ok but I don't think it's wide enough. It makes it harder to manuever and steer the mower though. I don't know how the Inventtek ones work maybe they steer differently but this one isn't worth my bother to have made. I have seen on LS here that chains work good. If my roller was wider on my 21" mower it would probably stripe decent but it's just too hard to manuever anyhow. I will probably keep it on just because I don't hardly ever use a 21" mower except for a raised bed at one house. Here's a picture of my 1974 21" Toro SP with my homemade stripe roller.

10. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

inventtek rollers are hinged and do a dang good job of making stripes but be warned you can not pull the mower backwards ever again so it takes some getting used to... mines set up on two cotter pins and takes about a min to take the unit off my mower if i have a house that requires a lot of going backwards... oh and by the way from the picture that you posted i'd say you could definately use the roller and i don't think you'd need the extension brackets they sell either...