1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Enhancing striping on walk-behinds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Strongmd, Feb 25, 2002.

1. Strongmd

Strongmd LawnSite Member

I know I probably should do a search, I will after.
    I'm wondering what the best way is to enhance striping on walk-behinds. I had installed a pro-slide on one of my mowers. It striped extremely well, because you've got the entire weight of a person flattening the grass. However, the pro-slide would break occasionally, I was replacing the plastic piece on bottom about every 6 weeks, and lastly, it doesn't work too well if you're over 175 and have any hills. So I'm getting away from the pro-slide. Do any of you attach chains to walk-behinds?
    How else can you enhance striping on a walk-behind?

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Sorry, no unsponsored mfg links

3. Strongmd

Strongmd LawnSite Member

Thanks John,
    Do you have any experience with that product?
    Anyone else?
    Seems awfully heavy.
    Anyone every add a striping kit to a walker mower?

4. John Gamba

from ct

No But a The Golf course I Worked At that;s how we striped With Rollers. He Bob has A Warning about Putting One On frount Mount Mower's. :cool: I'm Going to try One

5. Strongmd

Strongmd LawnSite Member

Let me know how it works. Do you know anyone that owns one? How does it hold up to daily mowing? Rocks? Zero-turns?

6. John Gamba

from ct

Matt I'l Let you Know What i Think about it. The only Proublem i Can See Is the diging Up Of turf In a Heavy Zero Turn On uneven ground. :cool:

7. Strongmd

Strongmd LawnSite Member

Thanks Lonestar, I'm not sure how that happened.

8. Aaron Klemme

Aaron Klemme LawnSite Member

matt, I just made a chain stripper for an exmark walk behind I just bought. Took alittle thinking on my part but it came out real slick. I've got an automotive store with welders and lots of eq. to do this kind of thing so It was rather simple for me. In your case buy about 35 1/4 in nuts and bolts. Bout 30 ft of chain and a piece of flat bar. Mount the chain to the bar. Figure out where to mount it first. Make sure the chains don't hit the tires which is what I ran into when I mounted it the first time. And then had to remount it. And make sure it also does no hit the velke tire if you have the swivle type. I f you want some more detail e-mail me. Good Luck.

9. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a roller from the above link. I love it and think it will stripe so awesome. Try it out I think you will like what you get and how it works!

10. I have bobs roller on a lazer i just got it and the grass is dormant here in chicago but it still left some stripes when i tried it on my own lawn.
    If it does this well on dormant grass it should do great on green grass this spring.