Enlarging a pond

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by Niagara Falls, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Niagara Falls

Niagara Falls LawnSite Member

Now that I have finally got my waterfall and pond under control, the wife is loving it, so much in fact she says it's way too small and should be made bigger, and deeper for the fish.

I would need to dig up the skimmer, and add to the existing liner. What would be the best way to do this? I have some liner tape, would that work as a permanent join?

The part she wants to enlarge is at the area of the skimmer and would got out about a 15' diameter circle.
    I've attached a pic to show where she is referring.

Pond August 20 002.jpg

2. tadpole

tadpole LawnSite Bronze Member

De ja vu all over again.

Don't even give a second thought to seaming in an additional section of liner.It is too exacting a task for most Pro's much less a DIY. It is very difficult to get absolute integrity in a seam of that length and curvature. It would be much simpler (and cheaper in many ways) to just replace the existing liner with a new liner of the correct size.

A little hint- You and your wife have new Pond syndrome. The first is never large enough. Whatever size you are thinking of expanding to, add at least 10% more to make sure it will be of satisfactory size.

3. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

Very well said. It is quicker cheaper and for the love of God less stress replacing the liner than seaming a liner. Rember your little leak.....just imagine.

4. CJF

CJF LawnSite Member

Can you show more pic's of your pond? I think the layout and stream is very
    pretty.
    I see a lot of potential for backing up a separate and bigger pond next to your existing pond.

We successfully added on to our pond in 1998, using seam tape, silicone
    and cut liner ( after we used the tape we sandwiched the two liners together between
    two pieces of cut liner with lots of silicone) the added extension
    is 6' x 13' The way we did it -- was to drop the water level down a couple of feet while we were
    working, and seamed it down only one foot down,and about
    two foot wide...
    this way if our seam ever sprung a leak, the water would only drop down
    one foot and the fish would be safe...another plus was that the fish were able to
    stay in the pond during construction and curing time.

Because of the shape and style of your pond and stream, I agree with
    tadpole to make a separate pond. However, I would back it up to your
    existing pond.

5. tadpole

You misread my post. I was not suggesting a separate Pond, but to use an entirely new appropriately sized liner for expanding his existing Pond. You have been extremely fortunate that you have not had any leaks in your Pond, but seaming EPDM is a tedious and exacting project. Liner is not that expensive; especially when weighed against the time involved in seaming plus the peace of mind from NOT worrying about a leak occurring immediately or later in time.

6. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

My supplier will come out and seem a liner and guarantee the seem, but I still wil not do it. I feel more comfortable with a one piece liner.

7. tadpole

Keith

Does your supplier use a heat seaming device. If not, then he is one brave man (or a fool) if he guarantees it.

8. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

I've never inquired about the process. I'm a firm bleiever in one piece liners for the pond basin.

9. WGrnd21

WGrnd21 LawnSite Member
    from NC

Your lawn ornaments are tacky.

10. tadpole

....and so is your post, sir.