Enlarging a pond

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by Niagara Falls, Aug 26, 2010.

1. tadpole

tadpole LawnSite Bronze Member

2. Niagara Falls

Niagara Falls LawnSite Member

Oh boy.....so if I keep the bottom right at the ground water level it should be okay?
    What do you think?

3. tadpole

That would be risky. You need to remember that the water table or ground water level is going to fluctuate depending on the proximity of rainfall, in time and location, and the amount of said rainfall. It is also influenced by the underlying geology of the area. The water that you are seeing could be coming from miles away OR as close as your neighbors yard. There is no way to know for sure without an extensive and expensive geologic survey. Perhaps your township water supplier or provincial government agency can shed some light as to the location of the water table in your neighborhood.

It is best to keep at least that One foot clearance that I mentioned in my earlier post.

4. wurkn with amish

wurkn with amish LawnSite Senior Member

Could be all the missing water from this summer!

5. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

You can also put a relief drain system (french drain that is daylighted) under your pond basin. When I was building my pond I had a bad problem with water under my liner because of the clay in my yard. My skimmer would float after a rain. This was before I had it rocked in and filled (20x20) approximately 2.5ft deep.

So I dug the skimmer hole down to the bottom level of my pond and backfilled it with clean rock and ran a 4" pipe to daylight than reset my skimmer finished building and have never looked back.

6. tadpole

Will a relief drain work if the water source is the actual water table? There are locations in my area that are in a flood plain or construction has been done on a reclaimed swamp. The water level is a fairly constant 18"-24" below ground level. I can't see how a drain field would work in this type of situation.

7. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

Unfortunately not in a water table situation or a spring fed area. If it is a spring, incorporate it as a natural autofill valve.:) JK!

8. Niagara Falls

Niagara Falls LawnSite Member

STL Ponds and Waterfalls

Please explain a french drain, that has been day lighted.....................

9. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

A slotted drain pipe that is surrounded by gravel that has an open end that can be seen by daylight. Most people install these in low spots that water pools. Imagine gutter drains that let ground water seep in and drain out. I hope I explained that enough.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_drain

10. tadpole

You might also investigate the possible use of the Easy Pro Multi-Vent system.

http://www.easypropondproducts.com/InstructManuals/Multi Vent Flyer 7-09.pdf

This could be an alternative to installing a French Drain. While I don't have any personal experience with this product, it does appear functional. I am sure that Easy Pro can give you referrals to contractors that have used it. Give Easy Pro a call at 1-800-448-3873.