Enough about lawns....what about plants!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by lawnguy26, Mar 21, 2006.

1. lawnguy26

lawnguy26 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

In the past couple years I have gained a lot of knowledge from this site in regards to turf care. Thank you Sean Adams and all members.

I would like to expand my knowledge on shrub care. Is there a forum out there that someone can recommend? I've been to aborsite and it seems to be mostly about trees. Thank You! :drinkup:

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Sure there is one right here..wadda ya wanna know?

3. lawnguy26

lawnguy26 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Is this some sort of tip blight? Just want to make sure, those systemic fungicides can get expensive. Would zyban or bayleton be best? Or would you recommend a different product. Hope the pics post, this will be my first attempt posting pics.

Picture 297.jpg

Picture 298.jpg

Picture 299.jpg

4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

OK I would feed the plant first before automaticly assuming it is a desease.I am sorry I don't treat plants with chemicals..I look for a environmental or cultural cause of the problem.Does this plant get exahust from cars?Does it have compacted bare soil above it's roots?Is water running off
    the area where it is planted instead of soaking in?What are the possibilities?

5. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I agree with She. A general rule of thumb is old growth brown coupled with new growth too much water, or lack of soil nutrients or too much possible burn. Old growth gets its nutrients from the soil, new growth gets its nutrients from stored sugars and starches in the plant. Stay away from the chems until you have a target pest or disease. A little more history would be good, how old, any construction/water changes, light changes etc.

6. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

If you could, post a pic of the entire plant. I too always look for cultural or mechanical issues before pulling out the spray gun.

8 times out of 10 it is something silly. I have been on three sites already this year with problems. 2 sites had trees planted too deep and the third was winter burn. Simple fixes in both cases.

7. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, I would suspect a cultural problem since a fungus would most likely manifest on the tender new growth. I am by no means diagnosing this plant, but just making a very limited statement.

8. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Couple of tell tale signs of fungus is cracking /splitting on the bark of trees especially thin barked trees like plumbs and flowering pears. On plants if you dig up and can get to some roots the pinch and pull on the end of the root. If the outer layer (I believe its called the mylar sheath) slides right off that is a fungus. It is especially easy to do to annuals that you suspect of having a fungus because it is easy to pull up the whole plant. I don't think you have a fungus problem because you need two things for fungus heat and moisture and I don't think we have had enough heat to cause fungus. Also fungus shuts down the entire vascular system at least branch by branch, not as selective as the problems in your picture.

9. Killswitch

Killswitch LawnSite Senior Member

Lets not rule out an insect problem. Several feed on old growth specifically, but this is Florida we are talking I presume so....

Im noting several broken pieces of old growth as well in pic 2.

Theres just not enough information to make a qualified diagnosis or really even a good opinion.

10. Greg Amann

Greg Amann LawnSite Member

I am in Central Florida as well and those pics look like what has been affecting red cedars, Leylandi cypress, and I am almost positive I have identified it on Italian cypress.
    Phomopsis blight and Cercosporidium blight.
    Check out the link.
    Good luck if you try controlling it.
    I have been recommending customers remove and replace with plants that are not effected by these diseases.
    I have seen bad in this area for the last 8 years.

http://www.seminolecountyfl.gov/lls/coopext/articles.asp?articleID=68