enough engine?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by P.Services, May 25, 2008.

1. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

im looking at a 2005 c6500 chevy dump truck with a 200hp 7.8L I-6 duramax engine and allison auto. does anyone have this engine in a truck? if so what do you think of it? i want a truck that can haul a good size load of dirt in it and pull about 20,000 lbs i just dont think thats enough engine to handle what i want it to do.

any thoughts?

2. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

Get you a Series 60 Detriot Diesel

3. P.Services

no thanks, i have never talked to anyone that liked a dd in a truck. im looking for a ford 750,650 or chevy 6500 anyways

4. nosparkplugs

My brother swears buy the DD he has used them in several of his trucks thats all. I'm always learning did not realize Duramax made a inline six. what are the other engine options.

5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I would look for a tandem axle for what you want to do. You need minimum 10 litre engine. A single axle truck is always overloaded.

A short wheelbase tandem will go places a single axle can not.

6. P.Services

to tell you the truth thats exactly what i wanted, i was looking for a tandem sterling with a high hp rating and a Allison auto. the c6500 im looking at is a switch and go system, im trying to find a roll off truck and just cant seem to find a tandem one unless i buy new. money is kind of the limiting factor right now.

7. nosparkplugs

Gravel rat be nice?

If your strapped for cash, if you could find a Cummins powerd Dodge, and slap some firestone airbags switch to a gooseneck hitch/trailer you could haul your equipment with ease. While saving some cash

I use to haul our Kubota MX6800 & landpride 7ft bushhog with a 02 F-350 7.3L crew dually, and our 02 Dodge 2500 & Cummins 5.9L just outpowers the 7.3L the one ton dually would be nice; however the firestone airbags have made it possible to haul the weight for less money. With the economy so tight find a Dodge Cummins you won't regret it my fellow yank:usflag:

8. P.Services

i found a f-650 with a 330hp cat in it, thats a lot of power in a small truck but it isnt a rolloff truck. i didnt even know they had that avalible. i thought the cat and cummins they put in those trucks where around 230hp or so.

9. P.Services

i goose neck wont really alow me to do what im trying to do. i want to be able to load up the truck with stone/dirt/whatever and then pull my skid along with it all in one trip. i know that 200hp duramax will pull the load but it will be as slow as my 366 gasser im replacing. i also want a roll off so i can have job boxes fabed up, the front 5' will be enclosed with a side door to store tools and stuff in and then the back 15' or 20' will be a normal dump box. that way i can load up 10 yards of mulch in the back and all the tools the guys need in the front garage and drop it off before they even get to the job in the morning. then at night they cant lock all the stuff back up and i swing by and grab it.

10. nosparkplugs

I hear yah, sounds like you know what you need