1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Enough for me, but not enough for......

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by eggy, Apr 23, 2002.

1. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

At this moment i am about ready to go nuts, yes buisness is good, good for just me. however I dont belive it is good enough to add a helper, but it is to much for just me.....Any suggestions? How did you know it was time to add help? What about training during the peak time?
  2. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Brian,

How about taking someone on part-time? You can train them in the biz while you continue to take on new accounts, and the right person can "grow with the company". This can also take some of the heat off of you so you can continue to work on the company 1-2 days a week (and still enjoy a bit of respite every week as well ;) ). Could be the answer you're looking for...
  3. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

A part time person could be the answer, i wonder how hard it would be to find a decent part timer. What you said about working on my buisness not in it is so true, by thetime I get home I have no desire to do anything else, and I have turned down a few new accounts. Something I enjoyed very much has become a big headache.
  4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

id look them over hard.
  5. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Quicker equipment or more efficient route an option?

Part timer: maybe a friend who can trim and blow only?

Good luck
  6. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I've been thinking a lot about this, but I have 2 basic problems.

1. Cash flow. I've spent mostly all of what Uncle Sam didn't get on equipment and getting out of debt. I want to make sure that if/when I hire, there will be no problem paying them, even when things slow down. I think a quality person will head elsewhere if they smell money problems, besides it isn't fair. So, I want to save about 10k, for payroll and unexpected expenses.

2. I can't decide how to pay, what to pay, who to hire and what to do with them in the off season. Right now I'm thinking about a base salary plus bonuses, plus matching them in a savings account for the winter.

Either way it seems that every person I've spoken to about hiring is either obviously worthless, wants to work weekends (I don't), or wants to work for themselves. I offered my brother in law $450 a week and my sister talked him right out of a job. She wanted me to make him a partner. Now he makes $7/hr mowing on a golf course and she won't talk to me.
  7. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Do you need the extra $$$ and business?

If so then get help, if not then select the most profitable of what you have, trim the fat and have a good summer.