enough games

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joshua, Apr 28, 2001.

1. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

last year a few customers from another service appoached me about taking over for the rest of the season and this season, i agreed to look at their lawns and bidded on them, i knew the other contrator, but always considered him to be a a$$hole (for another reason) and he does a poor job, scalping the lawn, not trimming everything, ect. ect., on all the lawns i took them over at the same price. and finished out the season, its the 3rd week of cutting here and still this guy is trying to convice them to take him back and they keep saying no, he did this all winter and now afew times in the spring, should i make him pay for this or let it go.

what should i do, go to war with him or tell him to back off??????

2. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

come on some one say something, all you older bucks out their and no one with advice.

3. Bama

Bama LawnSite Member

Hey Kid,
    I would just tell those particular customers that you are going to continue to do a professional job at a fair price, and let your work speak for you. It's been my experience that if someone has fired a lawn service, they don't usually rehire that service if they've found a good replacement. I also wouldn't recommend going to war with this guy. Just let it go. Spend your effort building your business and don't give one minute of thought to him.
    That's my advice.
    Hope that helps,
    Bama

4. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

2nd that! You got the accounts, you won already. Do the best job you can and the customers will tell the guy to bug off for you.

Remain professional when dealing with another LCO. Playing games either way will not solve anything in the long run. You win an account, you do the work, you lose the account, you find another, it is all part of business!

5. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Keep on working and doing the best you can on all your accounts.

The drama is nnot needed and will just put up obstacles while trying to run your business.

Try not to make enemies if you don't have to, It can only hurt you!

Just pay no attention to this loser and keep up your hard work!

My 2 Cents!

6. John from OH

John from OH LawnSite Member

As an "Old Buck" lol, what are you trying to accomplish by "going to war" with your competitor? Take the high road, you have the accounts, he lost, game set, and match. You have nothing to gain and more to lose if you caused him to somehow "Pay" for his contact with the customers. Customers probably would not appreciate hearing about how you went after their previous contractor.

7. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

josh--say nothing to the competitor, unless he gets in your face. then open a can of whupbutt on his head.

GEO

8. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Throw him off one of those "steep slopes" of yours LOL. I know I can go "pound sand"

9. Fine Lines Lawn

Fine Lines Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I'm in agreement with all of the replies. Just let it go and let your work speak for itself. Don't even speak badly of a competitor, because his work speaks for itself.

10. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

somethin dont sound right . his work is poor enough to have his customers looking elswhere. yet he is very persistent and no give up in him.an uncommon combination.
    but takes all kinds i guess