Enough HP for Meg-Mo Blades? (22hp/50")

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by T.Wells, Jul 31, 2005.

?

Enough Power for Meg-Mo's?

Poll closed Aug 14, 2005.
  1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Maybe

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Use Gators

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. T.Wells

T.Wells LawnSite Member
    from PA

Hello,

I would like to hear what you guys think about me having enough HP to run the Meg-Mo system.

I have a Cub Cadet RZT 50, this is a ZTR mower with a 22HP B&S V-Twin engine (2 cylinder) and have a 50" cutting deck.

I am currently running the OEM blades on the machine.

Thanks,
    T.Wells

2. cpipke

cpipke LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I have them on a Ferris 61" 25hp and they did not seem to take anymore hp then my OEM blades. I would say you would be fine, just give Meg-Mo a call and they will help you out. They took care of me and I received my set-up in less then 3 days.

3. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Why meg mo blades.

4. T.Wells

T.Wells LawnSite Member
    from PA

I don't have many choices of blades. Either 3-1 factory standard or gator mulchers. No hi-lifts.

I put on a mulch plug and my mower was clogging up like a bear. I was looking for something to really slice and dice the clippings.

Alternatives are welcome. Thanks!

T.Wells

5. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Cutting hi growth will be a bear. But that would be from the "mulching" more than from the Meg-mo's.

What doubling the cutting surface does is slow down the onset of bogging / turf turding. So say you can cut at 5 mph with OEM maybe you get 6mph with meg-go's. With the oem you might be able to bump it up to 5.5 with some loss of quality but with the meg-mo's going to 6.1 mph will kill quality. So when it does start, it is almost instant.

At least in my experience you are going great then for 2 seconds you slow/bog then BIG TURD. If you can keep yourself regulated then it should work great. And you will be faster than with the OEM.

6. T.Wells

T.Wells LawnSite Member
    from PA

I am sorry. I was very unclear in my previous post. I am not cutting high growth and my mower does not bog down due cutting too fast. I get a ton of clippings trapped on the underside of the mower which will eventually turd out. I find the that there usually many more clippings on the side where I would normally discharge. I have a mulch plug on the deck which is where I see the grass collecting on the underside.

I was hoping the new blades would help the grass fall back down a little better. I know that my current blades need to be sharpened as they look somewhat worn (15 hours of cutting).

Thanks and sorry for the confusion.

T.Wells

7. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Sorry I missed that fact earlier. I think a large part of the problem is that you are using a mulch plug and not a complete baffle system.

A true mulching system keeps the grass cut by each blade segregated, to be recut and dropped within the swath of that blade.

By just using a plug, you are getting the other 2 blades feeding the "discharge" blade. No blade set up is going to fix this. Running doubles or meg-mos will help by decreasing particulate size and decreasing the time grass stays under the deck. But nothing will fix not being properly baffled.

8. T.Wells

T.Wells LawnSite Member
    from PA

I am going to give Meg-Mo a shot. I really don't have any problems with clumping this week after I sprayed a light coat of WD40 on my deck after a quick cleaning.

Thanks for the replies.

-T.

9. MBDiagMan

MBDiagMan LawnSite Senior Member

The cubs are bad about clumping because of the bar across the bottom of the chute opening. Because of the upward force of the Meg Mo's, maybe it will help this problem.

I am getting rid of an almost new Z-Force because of this reason and problems with the B&S engine. I'm going to a Bad Boy.

Good luck,

10. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

You should have no problem pulling Meg-Mo's. Call us and we can answer all your questions and concerns. 877-625-0125