Enough HP ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ADA, Mar 25, 2003.

1. ADA

ADA LawnSite Member
    from S. C.

I've been reading about commercial Ztr's on this site for sometime. I am a home owner with about 7acres of grass to maintain. No hills lots of trees, buildings and fences to cut around. I think that any "name brand" will be adequate for my use and would last for a LONG time . The lawn has a lot of Bahia in it along with bermuda ( old pasture) 1 acre of centepede. I live in an area that has NO dealership of name brand ZTR except Kubota, Husqvarna,Cub, and Bush Hog. Closest other dealers are 1 hour away. I have found a Toro Z master with 31 hours( Demo with full warantee) that has 19 hp Kawasaki with a 52 inch deck for 5k even. I do not always follow the 1/3 rule and grass sometimes gets a little tall. Do I need more machine? Bigger engines on similar machines are 1500 to 2k more. I have been looking for good used machine but have found none. This is the last of the Demos that I have found. Good deal or keep looking for good used? Thanks. Put this in Commercial Site because that is where I always look first .

2. LWNMWR1

LWNMWR1 LawnSite Member

bigger is almost always better. i would steer away from toro. i have seen the tears flowing when they grenade. i run scagsand they are bullet proof. lots of machines out there even the occassional decent used rig. don't forget about large deck walk behinds with sulkies or velkies. can cover alot of ground as well

3. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think that 19HP on a 52" is a little on the low side. I run a 52" Husqvarna ZTR with a 23HP Kawi on it and don't have any problems plowing through thick Floratam and an occational Bahia.

4. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Several years ago we ran 52" midsize mowers with a single cylinder 12.5HP Kawasaki with no problems. The Toro Grounds Master 116 (16hp Briggs) would push a 52" deck for years without any trouble. Keep your blades very sharp and set the rpm's to 3500-3550 with the blades engaged and you will enjoy this good piece of equipment.

If you have doubts, the mower in question is a demo so put it on your grass and remove all doubts.

Oldtimer