1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

enough HP?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mark McC, Jan 24, 2005.

Is the Kawasaki 17 enough for an exmark TT 52?

1. Yes, 17hp is enough for an exmark TT 52"

14 vote(s)
  2. No, 17hp is not enough for an exmark TT 52"

36 vote(s)
  1. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

This would be for mowers used in northern Virginia. Is the Kawasaki 17 enough for a Turf Tracer 52"?
  2. sgallaher

sgallaher LawnSite Senior Member

I would say that it would be enough as long as you side discharge. I have the 17hp Kaw on my 44" Lazer hp and it has plenty of power for a rider as long as I side discharge.
  3. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

I got a 15hp 32", and I mostly mulch... In the wet grass I wish I had the twin cyclinder 17hp... For 52" i'd say go for a 20+hp...
  4. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I agree, low or middle 20's HP. I've used 20HP B&S on 52" Standers and it just isn't enough in the heavier and wet grass.
  5. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I voted yes but the 17 hp might slow you down in some places. You would probibly be better off to go ahead and get it with a 20 hp. It really depends on what type of yards you will be mowing and how often.
  6. sailinstud420

sailinstud420 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 19 kawai on my 52" TT and it does just okay. If it blows up I will get at least a 22hp if not more... You can never have too much power!! You are just working the littler engines harder, I"d rather have a 22 to muscle through it all and not have it get abused doing it. Even the 19 in wet grass isn't the most pleasant.
  7. j fisher

j fisher LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a 19 hp Kawasaki on a 48" Scag. Does pretty good, but will bog down on tall thick grass. Would not consider it on a 52.
  8. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the 17hp tthp. Its enough plower if your just cutting weekly. I wish I got the bigger engine and all the other options but finacially I don't think it makes sense. :dizzy:
  9. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

Too much horsepower is almost enough!
  10. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

I have 25 horsepower on my 54’’ walk-behind, like Oldtimer said its almost enough.