1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Enough Power

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by soccerlawn, Jun 13, 2005.

1. soccerlawn

soccerlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 1995 F-150 with a 5.0 V8, 2wd. Do I have enough power to pull an enclosed trailer (7x14) with two Z's on it, and all the other essentials that go in there.

thank you for your opions
  2. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you have an auto or 5-speed? The 5-speeds are tall geared in 1st and it's murder to get a load rolling on a hill with them. Also, you need to know which rear end gear ratio you have. If you have an auto, 3.73 or so rear end gears and a tranny cooler you should be just fine as long as you don't want to break any speed records. Having said all that, a heavier duty pickup with a bigger engine will do the job faster, safer, more comfortably and probably more economically in the long run.
  3. soccerlawn

soccerlawn LawnSite Senior Member

It's an Automatic, but I don't know the exact gear ratio of the rear end.
  4. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

Shouldnt be a problem. Make sure your trailer has brakes and you get a brake controller for the truck. I drove a 95 model with the 5.0 for almost 200,000 miles as a company truck. It was the best company truck I ever had. Had plenty of power, got great gas mileage too. With the twin tanks I could go all the way from NC to Pa no problem.
  5. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

my 95 f150 died quick once I purchased a 7x14 enclosed, transmission leaked bad and rear wheel bearings went out twice truck only had 65k miles on it when I replaced it with a cummins