enough power?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by 1999frontier, Mar 7, 2007.

1. 1999frontier

1999frontier LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I am looking at the Exmark TTHP 36 and the 48 and also the Hustler Trimstar in both of the same deck sizes. Is 17hp enough power for a 48" and is 15hp enough for 36" with two blades? I am really having a hard time deciding on which size I should go with 36 or 48. I am using a 42" Craftsman right now, do you think a 36" would be more productive than the 42 I am currently using? I know the quality of cut is going to be better but what about finishing faster? Sorry for so many questions.

2. 1999frontier

from NC

I guess the hp is sufficient for each mower but I am still wondering about the TTHP 36" being faster than the Craftsman. Can anyone help on this?

3. Mow2nd-2

Mow2nd-2 LawnSite Member

OK, common sense if you are using a 42" and are going down to a 36" you will not be able to cut faster as you will have to make more passes with the 36" more passes equal more time. i use a 36" because i can get more strippes on a yard and i can get through 90% of gates, also it won't take you that much longer with a 36" maybe 3-5min. if even that much.

4. 1999frontier

from NC

I didn't know b/c I thought a commercial mower you would be able to cut at a faster speed versus a homeowner mower. The blade tip speed is probably faster also allowing you to mow faster. Is this correct?

5. Mow2nd-2

Mow2nd-2 LawnSite Member

yeah you definitely want commerical equipment, home owner stuff just won't hold up. Comm. mowers do cut at a much faster speed than home owner equipment. the Exmark would be the better mower out of what you listed. the horse power should be fine on either size.

6. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

The hp you listed will be good for both deck sizes. The size of your properties should help you decide what size deck is better for you.

7. 1999frontier

from NC

I only have 1 small gated lawn. I think I could probably use the 48 but I only have a 4x8 trailer. Thats the main reason for going with a 36. I would really like to buy a good mower so I won't have to worry about am I going to make it through the next job. LOL

8. Mow2nd-2

Mow2nd-2 LawnSite Member

yep good equipment is the key, you may only have one with a small gate but down the road you my have more.

9. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

you should try for the 40" toro walk behind.

10. 1999frontier

from NC

Is that gear or hydro? I want to be able to pull a sulky no matter what I get.