Enough Power??

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by THRIFTY, Jul 22, 2007.

1. THRIFTY

THRIFTY LawnSite Member
    from (913)

I am looking into purchasing a new 48in scag walk behind this fall. My only question is that they only offer the 48in belt drive with a 16hp kawi? Many of my accounts are treated/irrigated, and have super thick healthy grass, is 16hp gonna be enough power to mulch properly and leave nice clean stripes? If not I am considering just the 36in with the same motor.....Any input is appreciated! :)

2. IHusky

IHusky LawnSite Senior Member

I would demo the 48 with the 16 hp kaw and see if its going to work for you before you buy.

3. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

thats plenty of power i have a 14 hp on a 52 and its just fine i would strongly suggest that you go with a hydro drive mower

4. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

In my opinion if you're mulching lush thick turf, it's going to strain the engine.

Take it for what it's worth, I always go with the biggest engine I can get.

5. Kid With A Mower

Kid With A Mower LawnSite Member

I would look at the SWZ hydro, they have engines that go up to 21 hp.
    Because if you mulch I don't think you'll have enough power. It doesn't hurt to have a little extra power. Plus the hydro is just simply better. Have you looked at the Exmarks?

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I use 15hp Kohler's on my 48's, power to spare, thou they are belt driven...
    As for thick wet grass bogging it down, you'd need a 8-cylinder to make sure it never does that, if the grass is tall and thick enough a 28hp isn't enough.

I'd like to know where the line on fuel consumption is drawn, too...
    Because my 15hp consumes it seems like a quart an hour, thou probably closer to 1/2 gallon...
    The 25hp on my Z eats 2 gallons / hour in comparison, just never made sense to me.
    But what I do understand is somewhere around the 18hp range is where fuel consumption increases dramatically, just don't know exactly where, or why.

7. THRIFTY

THRIFTY LawnSite Member
    from (913)

Thanks for everyones input! Now I am leaning torward a Scag hydro 36 with the 16hp kawi. After discussing it with my local dealer he felt that with me primarily mulching I should have a highest output motor possible for the deck size I want. Plus he insisted that I go hydro.....

8. MattsMowing3535

MattsMowing3535 LawnSite Senior Member

You wont regret the hydro, trust me its a million times better in tight areas and backing up. The 36 is probaly a better choice if your mulching all the time.

9. texpro

texpro LawnSite Member

go hydro all the way i sold my last belt drive today

10. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Good choice... You won't regret it:clapping: