enough to make you mad

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by thartz, May 14, 2003.

1. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

Just got a call from a commercial account.Went out and bought their own shrubs and want me to install.What would you say/do?

2. Grasshog

Grasshog LawnSite Senior Member

Dont bug me at all. I still get to charge labor. I'm just glad they called me. If the shrubs die I get paid again

3. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

That'a an easy question. Call them back to set a time for planting and charge them an increased labor rate. I have a few homeowners that I do only landscape labor for. I average $35.00 per man per hour for labor to do plantings. It is an easy money maker.

4. thartz

I have a mechanic who is a close friend that says he never installs a part a customer purchases.He won't work for an hourly rate.I honestly have never had this situation arise before.He says I'm nuts to do it because if I do it once they will try this stunt again.He said "do you take a steak to a restuarant and ask them to cook it for you;no"

5. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

In the construction field labor is a part of business.

6. thartz

ffshutter;Agreed,maybe I'm jumping the gun because I submitted a bid to install the same shrubs 2 weeks ago and they told me I was too high even after giving them a discount for being a yearly maintenance contract.One of their employees who thinks he is a landscaper apparently can't handle the job so they called me as a backup.

7. mowahman

mowahman LawnSite Member

Prices:
    We buy and install plants....$35/hr

You buy and we install plants.....$40/hr

You want us as a "back-up".....$50/hr

You wanna watch and learn......$65/hr.

Dig 'em, bill 'em, enjoy the job....at least they didn't call someone else to bid the install.

8. thartz

Thanks for the replies.It's amazing how offended you can get after a 16 hour day.Thanks for helping me to see straight.

9. longviewlawncare

longviewlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i have 2 yearly accounts that i do this for. I just add on an additonal fee to the bill for the time involved. I make enough off both these accounts that i do not mind. Everyone else though i normally buy and install/ I had a customer ask be to buy the plants for them to install. I guess they though it would be cheaper cause i get alot bigger discount than a normal person. They learned the hard way cause i mark everythingup. good luck

10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

we have a policy that we never install shrubs, plants, flowers, etc unless they are from a nursery. We are not going to waste our time, effort, and image and then have all of the products die because they were of poor quality.