Enough W/Broken Wood Handles on Shovels

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by ed2hess, Feb 10, 2013.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

This is the direction that I am headed with putting 1 1/4" metal conduit in place of the wood. Don't know if it will holdup it is only 1mm thick. I badly need to find a cap.

096.jpg

You have got to keep it covered when temp gets close to 100F. But we usually aren't do landscaping at that time.

096.jpg

2. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

they won't get hot if they are vertical but are not safe OSHA wise.

i made trimming shovels for swimming pool excavation from chain link fence top rail, a 1in cap should fit the end.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Crimson Lawn

Crimson Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Ed,
    Try aluminum pipe or go to steel, like 3/16. Might be heavy. Paint it and buy some Tool Dip. Dip the end 8 or 9 times. Or just buy a bunch of shovels and scrap the heads at the end of the year.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

This conduit was cheap.....picked it up when mowing. And it just happened to the right side and can be bought at Lowers. I must have 10 broken shovels and rakes. That dip idea was good, will it stand up to wear?

5. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

I use the heavy duty fiberglass handle shovels by kobalt. Love them.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. NC Greenscaper

NC Greenscaper LawnSite Senior Member

Only time we break shovels is when one of the guys is using for something other than digging, like prying through a centerblook of a four inch root.

7. Arvydas

Arvydas LawnSite Member

I have shovels, hoes, rakes, etc. that I've used heavily for years. I oil them regularly with linseed or coconut oil, which maintains the integrity of the wood, and I make sure to only buy tools with quality hardwood handles. That makes a huge difference! Better to spend the extra 10-20 dollars now for the better tool than waste time later.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

Like the old saying goes
    A cheap tool is a expensive tool

9. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

I only buy high quality tools, in my 5th year now with only 1 broken rake that was unrepairable, a seed scoop that was busted by being run over, and replaced a handle on a heavily used pitchfork. I can say this much, don't have high hopes for yard sale tools.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Crimson Lawn

Crimson Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Tool Dip works for a while but everyone else is right, high quality hardwood shovels last. I have been buying from Lowes to get me through, a little repair here and there helped but I will start to change mine out this year. I just get tired of trying to repair some much stuff and people who like to use a shovel as a pry bar.