Enough W/Broken Wood Handles on Shovels

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by ed2hess, Feb 10, 2013.

1. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

I think they sell spare handles, cost like $5...

2. Quix

Quix LawnSite Member

I have been using rakes and shovels with a fiberglass handle. Got them from sears, if they break or crack you get a new one. With a little care, treat them with respect, they last a long time.

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry all the plastic handles we got degrade and crack eventually. Our stuff lays in the back of a pickup year round. Yes I can buy some steel handles but I am not going to put them in truck with out lockdown. And stuff just happens to get lost so I am looking for a solid cheap fix and this conduit I think will be the best. If it doesn't hold up I will put steel pipe and I know that holds up since I already converted one.

4. jones68

jones68 LawnSite Senior Member

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

6. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Interesting you brought this up we seen this manufactuor at Expo last year and bought two shovels. They are the best and I keep em locked up for my personal use when I am on site. For transplanting nothing beats them. They are sharp and got some weight to them that helps. They need a little tweeking to product line no sharp shooter size and the irrigation shovel are tooo short on handles. I didn't know they had an outlet?

8. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Some people don't know the proper maintenance for shovels. Then they blame the shovel for breaking. If you don't know look it up. Its old school.

9. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Wolverine tools and king of spades are two great manufacturers of all steel shovels. They do not make a square point, so I made my own. I welded a piece of pipe to an square point head I had and welded a cap on it, ground it smooth, and plasti-dipped it. I will never buy another fiberglass handles shovel again, just not strong enough for heavy digging.

10. Scagman 48

Scagman 48 LawnSite Senior Member

I feel your pain ive gave up on wood.... Im on composite wood or plastic from the depot mostly ames and rigid
    Posted via Mobile Device