Enough W/Broken Wood Handles on Shovels

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by ed2hess, Feb 10, 2013.

1. LibertyFarmLandscaping

LibertyFarmLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE TX

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Wonder what is going on here with these shovels....when I looked at the
    wolverine web site it had some of the exact same shovels as the garret. The guys at the expo wasn't call wolverine but logo exactly the same.
    Guess they found outlets for thier product? Anyway both of these two site have some steel handle shovels.

http://www.wolverinetoolsonline.com/html_files/products/PDFs/wwmfg_catalog2011.pdf

3. kawasaki guy

kawasaki guy LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Jersey

I just use ones with metal handles...

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  4. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

6. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

I've got a structron 4" trenching shovel and a square edge spade. Both have fiberglass handle's, both have been outside for 2 year's now, they have faded a little but neither have de-laminated or shed any fiber's. The rain hasn't touched them and that is what kill's wooden handle's. I'd give them a passing grade, especially for the price.

7. Toro 455

Toro 455 LawnSite Member

I take it you're not the one using the steel handled shovel. They're a killer for your hands.

Wooden handles break because the socket of the shovel holds moisture and won't let the wood dry out so it rots. I periodically dip my shovels in a 5 gallon bucket of used motor oil. It's good for the blade, good for the wood. (It can be a real mess though).

8. Tri-City Outdoors

Tri-City Outdoors LawnSite Member

1st choice Structron

2nd choice kolbat

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I do use them and I always wear gloves but I understand what you are saying especially my conduit stuff is rough. I was thinking about putting motor oil on my wood handles today....good suggestion. I will take it
    out and oil my trailer floor also.

10. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Just widdle the handle and put it back in the shovel, Ive done that alot.