1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Entering Weekly maintenence into quickbooks

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by pj550v12, Dec 7, 2011.

1. pj550v12

pj550v12 LawnSite Senior Member

Hi all! I have been using Groundskeeper Pro for the past few years but would like to switch to Quickbooks. One (of the many) questions I have is how exactly do you guys go about entering weekly service charges for customers? In Groundskeeper you would "enter charges" for certain customers on certain days, and at the end of the month print their invoice and voila. I don't see a similar way to do this is quickbooks but maybe you guys can explain otherwise. I am finding I have to create the invoice and then enter each particular charge then. So what are you guys doing? Keeping track of all maintenance visits and dates and entering them all at once at the end of the month? I know there is probably an easier way. Any help would be appreciated guys!
  2. pj550v12

pj550v12 LawnSite Senior Member

Posted via Mobile Device
  3. zturncutter

zturncutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Explain how you are doing it now
  4. zturncutter

Are these customers by the cut ?
  5. zturncutter

Anyone ? :waving:
  6. JFGLN

JFGLN LawnSite Senior Member

You need scheduling software to work with Quickbooks. Look at QExpress.
  7. JFGLN

JFGLN LawnSite Senior Member

opps, Qxpress
  8. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I enter mine weekly (sometimes) and then save it as a pending invoice. Then the next week I go to the sales menu and pull up pending sales (be sure to change the search date to your invoice date or they won't show), sort them alphabetically and then just pull them up and add to them, save again as pending. At the end of the month I enter the final charges, right click to make it final and print/email. I do that part one by one, but you can also put them in the "to be printed" category as you go through them and print them all later.

You may also want to use the memorized transactions function, but I'm not proficient at that. I think you can have a memorized transaction so that it will remember your customer's rate. There was a thread on here about that recently but I didn't get into it...but I know it's here.

And right click is your friend on QB as in many other programs...it's context sensitive, so depending on what you're doing it will pull up the viable options.

Hope this helps...not saying it's the right or best way to do it but it's how I've been doing it.
  9. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I have used QB for many years. My operation includes about 40-45 accounts. This is the procedure I have used, and found to be effective, efficient, and simple:

1. At the beginning of the month(first visit), I open a new invoice (I have templates set up for each month, ones with a tear-off at the bottom third of the page - my address and return address position to be used with a #9 double window envelope).
    2. The date of the invoice is set to the last day of the month.
    3. Every customer has an entry in the Item list; listed as mowXXXX, and the price per cut (no chance of entering a wrong price because it is part of the Item list).
    4. Add an entry on the invoice, date, description (filled it from the Item list), price (filled in from the Item list).
    5. SAVE the invoice (do no print, just save and close).
    6. Go to the next customer, and repeat for each visit for the day.
    7. Next week, find the invoice and open; go to the next entry on the invoice and make an entry just like #4. The only difference from previous entry is the date.
    8. Repeat for all other customers of the daily work.
    9. Repeat #6,7,8 throughout the month.
    10. On the last visit for the month, make the typical entry (for weekly visits, each month will have four or five entries); when doing other work, such as leaf cleanup, bush trimming, etc., make an entry just like the mowing entry. These additional services have an entry in the Item list, but with no price. Any direct costs, such as mulch, are also added. If any work other than simple weekly mowing, the end of the month will have more than four (or five) entries. If items are taxed, the tax is added, and rolled up at the end. It no tax, it is so labeled.
    11. Print the invoice (or send it via e-mail).
    12. Designate the invoice as Pending. The balance will show as $0.00, but will show up under A/R as Pending.
    13. When payment arrives, open the invoice, and designate as Final. Save the modified invoice.
    14. Click Receive Payment, and add appropriate info (e.g. amount received, check number, date of receipt, and memo (I put the invoice number here, and the month -- shows up on a report of the account).
    15. Repeat process for next month.

This might seem complicated if you are unfamiliar with QB. However, when you have some experience, all these pieces will make sense, and it will be much easier than it reads.

Any questions, PM or post here.
  10. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, I use my item list differently. I pull up the Mowing item under my Lawn Care category and the default is $50, so I have to adjust it for each customer to their actual rate. I also date mine the first of the month following the month of service...sales and use tax is calculated based on invoice date and paid quarterly, so if I entered the date for my Sept. services as Sept. 30 it would be due at the end of Oct...if I put it in as Oct. 1 it's not due until the end of Jan. I enter mine as pending so they will not show up as receivable until they're finalized and I get a nice alphabetical list of them to pull from for subsequent entries. I had my accountant set me up when I first started the business and this is how he had me do it.

Roger - Not saying your way is wrong or anything...I like that your way you don't need to have a list or remember how much each lawn is. I don't understand why you need a different template for each month though...I use the same one all the time. I do have different ones for lawn care/landscaping and plowing though.

For those who bill a flat rate per month rather than per service, things would be different.