Entrepreneur or not?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by cmo, Jun 25, 2014.

1. cmo

cmo LawnSite Member

Thanks how long have you been in business if you don't mind me asking?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

I'm a serial entrepreneur (multiple start-ups and two acquisitions) who also maintains a healthy dose of self-employment (consulting).

3. ztman

ztman LawnSite Bronze Member

A final thought OP. What people think about you is largely dependent on how you project yourself and you business, both in appearance and words. If you dress in an appropriate way, and have well maintained equipment and can converse in and intelligent and professional mannar with you customer, they will have a different perception than the person that shows up in dirty tattered clothes with unmaintained equipment, and every other word out of their mouth is dude or cool. Your business, and peoples perception, is what you make it.

4. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Key word is considerable.

To buy a lawnmower and mow grass is not a CONSIDERABLE initiative.

To be Bill Gates and start something new out of his garage is. To launch Apple computers was considerable initiative.

Landscaping is just doing what others have done before you. Yes landscaping is a business no matter what the size.

5. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

No solo landscaping is a job. A business has assets that are sellable
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

I think people Respect US more than you fellers think.

7. tonygreek

This has nothing to do with it, Larry. They can respect you, but that doesn't make your role as a self-employed guy a business.

8. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Another thread bashing us solo fellers, typical.

Most of the operators in my aera are solo and have been in Business many years.

9. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

He's not bashing anyone. Just having a self employees job isn't a business.

I would consider yourself an entrepreneur for your investments outside of lawn care.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. tonygreek

Exhausting.... You really don't get it, do you? A solo dies tonight, does the "business" go on tomorrow without them?

This is yet another thread where you get bent out of shape by the obvious reality being pointed out to you. How you can take being self-employed as a personal slight is beyond me, but you always do. But, here's the thing... You're not a business, Larry. You. Are. Self. Em. Ployed.

Let me fix this for you, so that maybe you'll understand:
    There's no shame in that whatsoever.