entry for Boots' antique irrigation museum

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by greenmonster304, May 1, 2012.

1. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

so what happened to all of these companies? it seems like they were very popular and successful at one point in time...

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I would wonder about any sprinkler heads being die-cast, except those mass-market zinc-alloy cheapo types

3. Wet_Boots

Plastic happened.

4. txirrigation

txirrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Here is one for leary. We took 12-15 of these out and replaced them with pop-ups. Kept looking around the corner waiting for a tin can to come screaming down the street.

023.jpg

5. Fortunately i never tried to sell you an irrigation system. Not once did a customer argue with my assessment of die cast vs sand cast.

6. Wet_Boots

Die casting produces a uniform surface, and all the brass sprinkler heads and valves have the look of sand castings (I did some sand casting back in shop class)

By the way, the Hall popup spray was almost certainly made by Moody. The nozzle is definitely not a Buckner, because it lacks the flats to fit the head wrench.

7. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

:laugh: I KNEW there were other guys that installed copper risers! :clapping:

8. I don't know boots. Henry says they are buckners. I think he's right. Sure look like notches to me. Sure looks like its a buckner head.

IMG_0106.jpg

IMG_0104.jpg

IMG_0105.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

9. Wet_Boots

I got a Buckner wrench, and it won't fit the Moody nozzle. Note the flats on the full-circle nozzle, that fit the open-end-wrench half of the Buckner head wrench.

10. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

by golly i think you may be correct :) good eye!

IMG_0105.jpg