entry for Boots' antique irrigation museum

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by greenmonster304, May 1, 2012.

1. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Hall tailpiece photo, please. Until then, you can only claim that nothing about the Hall body, as seen from the top, would indicate that it can't be a Buckner.

By the way, the Rainbird brass popup body had a 4-inch overall height, in its final version. They all standardized that dimension about 40 or so years ago. Rainbird did offer a popup with a stainless steel piston for awhile, and it might have a bit more popup height.

2. What a waste of Henry's time. Couldn't take his word they were identical?
    .......................Go find a moody.................

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

3. Wet_Boots

tailpiece photos are worth more than words, and speaking of photos, are there any of the Hall valves?

4. I'm not going through this again with the hall valves. I think I've used up my hassle Henry for pics quota.

5. Wet_Boots

There is a sort of time disconnect here. Those are not classic Buckner heads. They are Royal-Coach-designed heads, with a tailpiece made for compatibility with sch 80 nipples. As of 1980, they could be called Buckner heads, since that is when they were bought back from Johns-Mansville. Either way, they are at the earliest a '70s product.

I was expecting the older pre-Royal-Coach-design heads, because the Moody controller is clearly a design from the 50's or 60's. That "hammertone" paint job (or so it seems from here) is a relic of the past.

So now I'm curious about the valves, and what era they might be from (and whether they had "HALL" cast onto them)

I am grateful for the photos, by the way.

6. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

So, did Buckner absorb Royal Coach? My key for the slotted heads was labeled, "Royal Coach." Those were the days: reel mowers, double patterns, hand-edging. :clapping:

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  7. Wet_Boots

Buckner was sold to Johns Manville, about ten years before it was bought back from JM.

Before string trimmers, wrists were stronger....

FH00MAR_SHARPT_13.JPG

Last edited: May 12, 2012
  8. Mike Leary

Never shake hands with a hand-edge guy.

9. Wet_Boots

drummers, too :)

10. Mike Leary

Even more painfull; most good drummers are ambidextrious.