1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Entry Level Commercial ZTR Continuation...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dgrego, Mar 28, 2005.

1. dgrego

dgrego LawnSite Member
    from midwest

Just got back from a dealer who carries Ferris and scag ztrs. I'm seriously, considering either the Scag Tiger Cub 48"/19hp Kawasaki ($6200) or th Ferris IS 1500Z 48"/21hp Kawasaki ($5500). Are these hp ok for a 48" deck? I'm mowing my 1.5 acre residence. How do these brands compare to the Dixie Chopper or Exmark brand. To be honest I never heard of Ferris or Scag until visiting this forum. By the way this forum is great!!!
  2. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

i would go with the ferris ,more hp, pivot front end plus suspension 700 less you should get 10 yrs only mowing your own yard
  3. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Bobcat and Snapper both have a 53 inch model in that price range.
  4. calbren

calbren LawnSite Member
    from K.C. Mo

Well first Ferris and scag ztrs are not entry level, you dont get much better nor more exepensive then those 2 mowers. If you want an entry level meaning something that is cheap, considerd "commercial mower" and has a decent engine I would consider the Lesco for under 6 grand (Cheapest commercial 60" on the market) and comes w/ a 23 HP Kawasaki.
  5. Big Hoss

Big Hoss LawnSite Member

For that kind of money I would find me an Excel Hustler dealer. I look at the dealers service reputation, The Warranty, The Deck, Spindle Housings, and last the engine. By the way I have purchased the Hustler Super Mini Z 24/52 and the Hustler Super Hydro WB 25/54 in the last year and glad I did.
    Big Hoss
  6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

All four of the brands you mention are high quality mowers. Each has small differences but all-in-all they are very similar. For my money I would have to get the Ferris simply because it has the bigger engine. When you're out there in the springtime and the grass is growing just as fast as it can you will want every horsepower you can get.
  7. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Both brands are among some of the best mowers out there. Out of the 2 you listed i'd definately get the Ferris. Less money, more hp, and 4 wheel suspension for a smoother ride.
  8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Ferris has the best ride of all of them.
  9. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

If it's for your house the horespower really doesn't matter either one will have enough for your application.
  10. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

This of course being an unbiased opinion, correct?

:p :cool2:

Just kidding...............