1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Entry Level Z-turn & Walk Behind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dmjr77, Nov 22, 2007.

1. dmjr77

dmjr77 LawnSite Member

I am looking for a Z-turn and a walk behind mower. What would be a good entry level brand? I am going to be upgrading from a John Deere 42" riding tractor.
  2. grasscutter845

grasscutter845 LawnSite Member

Well there is no such thing as a "entry level brand" I would stay with a bobcat or scag wb. As for the riders look at the exmarks
  3. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

I think he's asking about residential or cheap Commercial ZTR.....
  4. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

If I was going from a riding tractor and expanding my business. I would go with a Scag tiger cub 19 kaw 48" rider or a 52" 26 liquid cooled wildcat. On the walk behind I would also look at Scag. They have what seems to be a great new design on there walk-behinds. I also will be purchasing a new walk-behind this spring and have been looking at the new Scag. Another you might consider is the Quick 36 or 44 mowers. About half the price of your bigger name mowers but seem to be awsome machines. Its a toss up between the two for me.
  5. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

If you really want a true entry level commercial WB then get a Billy Goat 33" WB. Alot of people here on LawnSite will speak negatively about it, however, it is an entry level commercial machine.
  6. PearceLawn

PearceLawn LawnSite Senior Member

How about a Quick 36? And/or the Quick 44?
  7. adrianrog

adrianrog LawnSite Member

You're in the same boat as I was a few months ago. If you take your time and compare, you'll see that the commercial models are way more than twice the machine at only twice the price. I was afraid that I'd wear out / break the homeowner models. I ended up with an Exmark Lazer Z HP and love it. It was a close call between the Exmark and Toro. I think either would have served me well, but I liked a couple of things about the Exmark better. (Metal belt covers, for example). Anyway, I didn't consider any other brands because those were the two that my local commercial dealer carried.

I started out cringing at the thought of a $3K mower, but then ended up with a $6300 mower because it was such a better deal, literally. I got way way more than twice the mower.

8. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

These are certainly good machines ... I didn't suggest them because I generally consider them to be more than entry level commercial units, which is what he said that he wanted.
  9. phntmfoot

phntmfoot LawnSite Member

Stick with any of the premier brand names. (Bob-cat, Exmark, Ferris, Scag, etc) You'll always be able to find parts and they all have an "entry" level machine. Also depends on what you have available to you in your area. Stay with a reputable dealer.
  10. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

Do a search on the net or locally and find a nice used mower that has not been abused. Couple hundred hours is nothing if they have been maintained and you will save thousands. 2 years ago, I bought a ferris 48" wb off ebay for $1800, put 450 hours on it in two seasons and then sold it when I upgraded to an exmark ztr.

You could easily find a newer used wb for $1500-3000 depending on 36" or 48" and a nice ztr for $3500-6k. I can always find deals here locally where somebody thought they needed a fancy new mower and now must sell, saving me alot of money. Or you find some old guy that bought a ztr for his property and kept the hours down...