Enviro Nice Programs?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Bob Shoaff, Nov 24, 2000.

1. Bob Shoaff

Bob Shoaff LawnSite Member

Does anyone offer "environmentally friendly" or Organic lawn care programs? If so, what are the details. Brand names of products and such.
    Thanks, Bob

2. Mike Felices

Mike Felices Banned
    from Georgia

What do you mean? Ex-mark offers a brochure about the benefits of mulching, if you request an information packet.

3. turfdoc

turfdoc LawnSite Member

Any lawn care program that adheres to the priniciples of best management practices, integrated pest management, or any other terminology one wants to use would be considered 'environmentally friendly'.

Being organic does NOT necessarily mean the application process will or will not be any more 'environmentally friendly' than an inorganic lawn care program. This is why education is so important so that applicators can appropriately inform their customers on the best care program for their particular situation. As I teach my students, there is no such thing as a totally organic lawn care program unless the applicator pulls up in front of my house in a horse-driven wagon that they built themselves without use of any power tools -- trucks that haul organic materials to a site could be considered 'environmentally unfriendly', especially when you need a larger truck to bring in the larger quantity of organic fertilizer which typically has a lower fertilizer analysis.

Does this mean I am 'anti-organic'? NOT AT ALL -- I just want to provide a balanced view that there are pros and cons to all types of programs and one needs to be objective in their decision-making.

4. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

A good point to ponder.