EP Henry Qulaity in Question ?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Lost Pine, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Lost Pine

Lost Pine LawnSite Member

Lately, I have been getting complaints from a number of customers about the durabilty, specifically "fading" of EP Henry stone. I must say that I found the compalints valid ! AS the Pic shows, this step/sidewalk job is only 2 years old anf it is very faded. Is there any satisfaction complaining to my local EP Henry distributor ? Any one else having these problems...?

Lost Pine

DSC_0554.JPG

2. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

This is why I like Techo-bloc!

And Hanover fades worse than anything!

We haven't started using EP Henry Yet, but plan to give them a try,

On the other hand, anything outdoors WILL fade. I don't care what it is. If it's outside...it's going to fade. And you need to advise clients of this upfront during the initial consultation.

But a good manufacturer will take steps to ****** the fading....

3. BOEpavers

BOEpavers LawnSite Member

We have installed EP Henry almost exclusively for 5 years (2 non-EP Henry jobs total) and have not had one complaint about fading. Several of our jobs have been repeat business expanding or adding to work we had done in years past. Once the new work had "weathered" for a season it was difficult to tell the new pavers from the several year old pavers.

I would speak with your distributor and have him get his EP Henry rep involved. They do stand behind their product well and on one occasion replaced a complete sidewalk that we had installed.

As the previous poster said, anything will fade and if a manufacturer says otherwise they're blowing smoke. Techo is too new in this area for me to comment however our last job was a Techo install. Time will tell. We will not install Hanover for a variety of reasons even though it is manufactured about 30 miles from us.

4. amscapes03

amscapes03 LawnSite Senior Member

Use a efflorescence cleaner on them first, and then seal them.

5. ephenryqa

ephenryqa LawnSite Member

Like anything placed outside for 2 years, the concrete has a build up of dirt and contaminants that is muting the color and giving the impression that it has faded. EP Henry uses only the highest quality Synthetic Iron Oxide pigments that are lightfast and conform to ASTM - C979. If the customer wants to restore the vibrancy all they need to do is clean the surface and apply a good quality sealer.

6. Lost Pine

Lost Pine LawnSite Member

Well, to conclude this EP Henry saga...The rep came to the jobsite and looked it over. Great Guy, probably a great salesman, but in the end, he said ,"there is nothing that can be done to correct it short of cleaning it up and putting a sealer on it".

Thus ends my involvement with EP Henry stone....They won't be used again ! !

Lost Pine

7. DVS Hardscaper

Just keep in mind - I don't care what anyone says.....ANYTHING outdoors is GOING to fade. The natural power of the sun is more than anything man made can conquer. I have prosepctive clients ask me all the time about fading, and regardless of what the manufacturers tell me - I never promise them that their pavers won't fade.

I will say again......GO TECHO-BLOC!!!! After 4 years, so far no complaints.

8. Paver Gangster

Paver Gangster LawnSite Member

How often do you talk to your past customers?

9. DVS Hardscaper

I don't have a time line to give you.

But it works this way:

Our clients either a) call us back to do more work....or....b) refer us to their friends or neighbors.

So it could be that we may not see our clients for 2 years after we did their job......but sooner or later, we ALWAYS come into contact again with one another.