1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ep Henry

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Linedrive, May 12, 2008.

1. Linedrive

Linedrive LawnSite Member

I have an approx. 800 SF patio that I want to install. I have one pallet of EP Henry Coventry II pavers approx 130 SF.

My question is do I spend more money on EP Henry pavers and use the pallet I have for a walkway. Or do I use a different paver (cheaper) for the patio or blow my wad on EP Henry?

Are EP Henry really worth the extravagant price?

2. BOEpavers

BOEpavers LawnSite Member

I would guess it depends on the look you are going for. If you like the look of the Cov II, then that's what you should use for the patio. If you can get by with a different look, then go with a different, possibly less expensive paver such as Old Towne Cobble, or something from the Imperial line.

My personal opinion is EP Henry is worth the price when compared with like-quality pavers. I don't feel the price is extravagant again when compared to like quality. Price per sf for EP, Techo, Nicolock to name a few are within cents of each other for similar style product. Now if you're talking Hanover, yeah EP Henry is going to be "extravagant" but there is no comparison in product.
  3. Hardscaping1

Hardscaping1 LawnSite Member

Are you an installer? EP Henry is running a rebate program for contractors so that would save you some $$'s. See banner at bottom of page.
  4. freedm2

freedm2 LawnSite Member
    from PA

What makes EP better than Hanover? I heard EP was the Walmart of pavers.. I trying to start a war, just want to know if I was given misinformation.
  5. Paver Gangster

Paver Gangster LawnSite Member

That's a bit unfair, though that perception may come from the fact that EP Henry sells to Home Depot. Their Imperial line however, is cheap shite, but priced accordingly. Hanover is no better, probably no worse.

The reason EP Henry might seem pricey is because they spend a lot of money on marketing driving consumer demand, forcing contractors to install the stuff because then the homeowners demand it. Nothing wrong with that business model BTW. But a savvy contractor with halfway decent salesmanship should be able to talk the homeowner into an equal for less $ and pocket the difference.

For pricing comparisons, get quotes on Belgard Bergerac, it's almost the exact same thing, and depending on what market you are in, you will defintely get a paver of the same or better quality, and maybe at a better price per sf.
  6. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

I have no prob with Hanover products. 95% of my pavement work is Hanover. My profits show it as well. I can pick the material up myself and save .40/ftsq on the material if I choose as well boosting profit even more. Plus you can buy straps and are not forced to buy a whole cube.
  7. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

if your comparing apples to apples how much of a difference are you going to find between ep henry and another manufacturer? maybe at most $0.20-.30 per square foot for a similar paver. on a 800sf patio that's a whopping $240 difference. if that's worth it to you than go ahead and use the cheaper paver. i for one look for the manufacturer that makes a quality paver and stands behind their product first and i am willing to pay a little more for that. 75% of the money is in proper base installation anyway, do you want to put an inferior product down after spending all that money to prep for it? as the old saying goes, " buy something of quality you cry once, when you pay for it, buy something cheap, you cry forever."
  8. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Most important thing is what company will stand behind their product when something goes wrong. I know for a fact ep henry will do whatever it takes to warranty their products.
  9. BOEpavers

BOEpavers LawnSite Member

To my knowledge, Hanover offers no warranty on their products. Also, I can pick up EP Henry or any other paver myself and not pay delivery, but with most of our jobs requiring full truckloads or more it doesn't make sense. Also, I can buy a single paver from my EP Henry Distributor. I'm not forced to buy full cubes, bands, layers, etc. As for EP selling to Home Depot, that may have been true several years ago but it has not been the case for at least the last 2 due to contractor complaints. We spoke - they listened. Also, as stated, EP Henry stands behind their product and that is a better marketing tool than you can imagine.
  10. Linedrive

Linedrive LawnSite Member

Thanks to all who posted in this thread.

It was very helpfull to read all the replies.