1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

EPA emissions requirements and Ethanol fuel. How much of your equipment is ruined?

Discussion in 'Alternative Fuel Forum' started by JDiepstra, Aug 19, 2011.

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I always buy mid-grade fuel and have never bought more than I use in a week and I haven't had that many problems with my equipment other than maybe a fuel filter and primer bulb but that's about it....
  2. pressley10r

pressley10r LawnSite Member
    from NC

I was buying one new carb per year for all of my 2t handheld equipment until I found a couple local stations that sell ethanol-free. Startron and marine grade stabil are only a bandaid, you will still have gummed up carbs, just not as often. I'm happy as long as they keep ethanol free gas available, cause that's the only real option IMO to keep small 2t's running.
  3. CL&T

CL&T LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry for the name calling that was aimed at politicians, certainly not members of this board. And yes I do get really upset when politicians force something down our throats that is obviously defective, benefits only the ethanol producers and pays subsidies (out of our tax money) to the gasoline producers.

Well it got my buddys older truck to pass emissions when it failed a couple times prior so I know it works...
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Besides the other replies, tying food supplies into fuel\energy is just sooooooo brilliant. :rolleyes:
  7. MSTmarc

MSTmarc LawnSite Member

We have seen a lot of carbutetor problems because of the gass, these problems can't be fixed easy. Most of the time we are removing & replacing them because of cost.
    Briggs just came out with there New Fuel Fromula and this should take care of all your carburetor and fuel problems.
  8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Something else to add to the cost of expensive gas.
  9. In CA, been dealing with this crap for a long time. Bout the the only thing you can do is just follow manufactures recommendations of at least using 89 octane gas, good quality gas(brand names like shell Exxon Chevron) all use secret formulas adding various detergents bla bla bla....(that can be argued if worth the extra cost) and they maintain there storage tanks better. its the storage tanks where moisture will get into fuel.

Since the intro of ethnoyl to CA market, our spark plugs foul easier...gas prices are never really stable and our food prices have skyrockted because of politics of ehtonoyl.

Simple fact, if they took the tarrifs off of sugar beets, our food prices would drop and possible fuel cost too. Corn ethnoyl is subiside too much. tale the sugar beet tarrif off and watch the corn market take a dump.

10. MSTmarc

MSTmarc LawnSite Member

Kohler had a recall on one of there engines because the gas killed the carburetor. As for the price it's 10 bucks and treats 40 gallons.