EPA emissions requirements and Ethanol fuel. How much of your equipment is ruined?

Discussion in 'Alternative Fuel Forum' started by JDiepstra, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Michael2000

Michael2000 LawnSite Member

I have replaced the carburetors on 80% of my equipment now. On one piece of equipment, the engine didn't cost much more than the carburetor, so the engine got replaced. I'm sure the manufacture of that engine used a fair bit of energy. I had two carburetors go in one week due to ethanol gas. It's amazing how fast it can ruin a carburetor, just a few minutes.

If there was good equipment that ran on propane or cng (with home base filling unit), I would be all over it. I'm really sick of this so called gasoline, and where I live, that's all we have for 400 miles.

Michael

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

My runnability problems have disappeared.

Has something to do with no longer using ethanol. I am paying more for real gas, but it is worth it.

3. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Hmm...this backs up some of my posts in another thread.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. cgaengineer

I've had one problem with a fuel pump that I can only think was from ethanol...first pump (mikuni) lasted 5 years, second pump (rotary) lasted 1 month, third pump (mikuni) has been good so far so I can only think that the first pump that sims decided to dissolve one day had had enough...the second was inferior plastic not designed for alcohol and the third being OEM is again designed to handle alcohol fuels.

Zero problems with other equipment and I but the cheapest fuel I can find...I am not fuel brand loyal. I use no additives in any fuel.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. cgaengineer

Fuel line for radio controlled equipment should be alcohol resistant, also look for fuel hose for alcohol kart racing.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

My mechanic loves ethanol. He said it is great work for him as it causes the rubber inside fuel pumps to swell and stop pumping.

Then again, he loves Ford's 6.0 POS diesel because that brings a lot of work his way too.

7. cgaengineer

This particular pump was a diaphragm pump on a mower, not a typical gear pump on an auto.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

And quick too, apparently. All of my current equipment has never seen E10, until July 4th. I didn't want to do it, but I ran out of gas with two lawns to go. Picked up 1 gallon and threw the bottle of oil in there. By late yesterday afternoon I had a Kawi edger and trimmer with split primer bulbs. The edger refuses to rev at all. This a piece of equipment that has never given me a minute of problem. On the last lawn today the blower is slow to revs and sounds terrible.

I guess I should have just called it a day and waited until Thursday morning the get my gasoline. I knew not to do it, but figured I was being paranoid and one tank wouldn't hurt anything.

9. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

That would be way too quick, imo.

10. cgaengineer

Yeah, one day ain't gonna do what you describe.
    Posted via Mobile Device