EPA proposing limits on lawnmower emissions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Apr 21, 2007.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

"The EPA's new proposal applies to engines under 25 hp which drive nearly all walk-behind and riding mowers as well as small generators and other devices. The rule would cut smog-forming emissions from the engines by 35%; the reductions would probably be accomplished by adding catalytic converters. The board has estimated that walk behind mowers will cost 18% more under the new regulations while the price of comercial turf care mowers will go up 3%." Not an exact quote but this is what I read in a couple of papers this week. Suggested date for regulations to go into effect, 2011.

2. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I think i read this in the local paper a day or two ago i hope that it doesnt make prices go too much higher i cant keep raising my prices to match equipment prices because people will start to freak out. Hell they started freaking out when i started charging $5 a month extra for gas when it went over $3 last year

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Briggs has been fighting this for quite a while now claiming that it would be too expensive. It looks like they lost.

A lot of 2 stroke manufacturers like Shindaiwa and Stihl added cats over the years and there was barely any price increase at all. In fact, I bought a Shindy T-231 with cat at a mower dealer open house for $219 last January. That was the lowest price I had ever paid.

4. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

When they did something similar to boat motors it only applied to new engines made after such and such date.

The Mfg's began two projects, one is to make as many existing engines as possible before that date and two begin development of the new 4 cycle fuel injected motors.

So it the date is 2011 then it maybe about 2 years later before it impacts anything. Likely we will start to see a gradual price increase pretty soon so there is not a huge sticker shock later.

5. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

Good. I'm all for cleaner air. Especially the air I breathe all day working with these machines. I don't care if it costs more, I'll charge more. should have been done a long time ago, but dumb ass lobbyists and politicians prevent smart moves.

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

A lot of propane going on the bigger units in our market since it is required by all local and state government agencies. The claim is they expect to get longer engine life from clearner burn....jury still out on the problems with using tanks and gas mileage comparision.

7. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

That's not really true. Manufactures that produce ultra efficient machines market it. Some say that 4 cycle edgers will pay for themselves in a long season.

So if they can make them and market them they will do so asap because in my mind that makes the product more attractive to people like you.

However, It takes time to develop these products.

I know several boat motor manufactures sold out because they simply could not product a product that met the guidelines.

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

They need to start looking at the big fish. Our little engines are like spitting in the Atlantic ocean.

9. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I'd like to see the #'s that show how much of an impact this will have on the big picture.

I'm not sure they can measure that small.

It's a bunch of crap to make people feel like somthing is being done.

10. WildWest

WildWest LawnSite Senior Member

Just ANOTHER way to pull that greenback out of YOU pocket and put it in theirs!!! This county will fold due to OVERtaxation! And If your Equipment wont pass emissions, they'll just hit you with an impact fee and send you on your way!

Mower emissions! Give me a break.
    Pretty soon they will be taxing you for exhaling! That's a "pollutant" according to the Supreme court as of a week or two ago! Thanks for the Hysteria Al Bore!