1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Epsom Salts

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by lawnrangeralaska, Mar 2, 2006.

1. lawnrangeralaska

lawnrangeralaska LawnSite Senior Member

Saw a commerical on T.V. for some lawn care tips and it said applying epsom salts on lawns will make them have a greener or darker color. If so was wonder who all applies this salt to their lawns. And at what type of rate to apply it. thanks james
  2. OnMyOwn

OnMyOwn LawnSite Senior Member

I have never heard of this, but actually knew of someone that tapped a keg into his sprinkler years ago. He claimed the lawn loved beer.

I just accused him of needing a hobby. Has anyone else heard of such a thing?
  3. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

beer is good for the lawn
  4. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Beer has lots of sugars and enzymes that activate the microbes in the soil. Yes it works but biological fertilizers are better and cheaper. Ebson salts contain magnesium or manganese I forget which or maybe both a micro nutrient good for palms and plants that are chlorotic. Why anyone would pay for ebson salts when you can get manganese in 50 lb bags for about 9.00 These tricks are for old ladies with a couple of sick plants not for the landscape professional.
  5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Hey now..I got slammed lat time I mentioned applying beer to a lawn!Works though..Epsom salts are good for planting roses if you dig it well into the soil in the planting hole about a 1/4 cup
  6. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like something from the fraud Jerry Baker. While your putting on the epsom salt--spit a chaw of tobacco in with it.
  7. B&D Lawn Care

B&D Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Epson salt is good for givin ya the trots!
  8. lawn masters 2006

lawn masters 2006 LawnSite Member

huh....salt...i know that kind of salt is good for lots of things,but i have a few clients that dont like round-up for weed killer,cuz of small pets....so i use water softner salt to kill grass around things...so i think twicw about it...lmao:hammerhead:
  9. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

First I don't thing passing out on a lawn and spilling your beer is considered an application. Second epsom salt is not a salt, like rocky mountain oysters are not oysters.
  10. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

It's true.Works great on ferns as well.