Equalizer hitch?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wriken, Jan 7, 2003.

1. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 20' tandem trailer that I use for my lawn care business, last year I hauled a 60" ztr, and a 48" w/b plus all the side equipment. My question is should I use a equalizer hitch for this application, also i might be adding another 60" ztr. What is the function of a equalizer anyways, any pro's to them. My tow truck is a 2002 P/S F-250, auto, and I have air-bag helpers.

2. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

What is a equalizer hitch?:confused:

3. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

Does it have anything to do with the stabilizer bars?

4. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

this is how it works.it moves more lbs to the truck frame and not so much the ball hitch.it also keeps the truck and trailer more stiff you know so it doesn`t sway side to side when your doing 50 plus.most hitches are rated for 5000,but two Zs and a walk behind with a 20ft trailer? i would look into getting one.there worth it.

5. GraZHopA

GraZHopA LawnSite Senior Member

Wriken;

Since your currently have a Ford F-250 (¾ ton) truck I don’t think you would need a equalizer hitch. I am assuming that it has the heavy duty suspension. The only reason a person would use a hitch of this type is if the trailer was causing the rear of the truck to squat. This is in turn quiet annoying when every vehicle you meet is bright lighting you. I have a 12’ wells cargo enclosed trailer and pull it with a Toyota Tacoma. The truck has very little rear suspension, due to the fact that it rides like a car. Therefore, I have to use the equalizer hitch. The hitch also works well on my 21’ RV. I hope this answers your question.

6. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

Ya it really never squatted, even before I put the air bags on. The reason I asked some companys that have you pull travel trailers require them. About the only time it sagged was loaded down with mulch and on the trailer was my Kubota L3000DT w/brushog and 400# fertilizer, but that was before the bags, now I just put them up to 30-50 lbs and go. Thanks

7. pyrocare

pyrocare LawnSite Member

Is an equalizer hitch the same as a receiver hitch?:confused:

8. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

im sorry guys i thought you ment load distributors which kind of work the same but they help out more on heavy loads