Lawn Care Forum banner

Equip tailers 5 lug to 8 lug?

4K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  ducnut 
#1 ·
I just bought a 2nd equip trailer. Its 8k gvw but it came with bicycle wheels and tires, 15 inch, 5 lug, 1,800 lb max. My question is, Im thinking Id like to put the 16 inch 8 lugs off of my 16,000 gvw trailer on it and get a set of 17.5's for that trailer.

#12 ·
You can't put an 8-lug hub onto those axles. The bearings in an 8-lug are huge!

I'd suggest a 225/75-15 Maxxis trailer tire in 10-ply. That'll get you over 11K in load rating. This will require a 15X6 rim, though.

http://www.maxxis.com/Industrial/Trailer/M8008-ST-Radial.aspx

Are sure you have 4000lb axles and not 3500lb axles?

#13 ·
I should've added that most axles have a manufacturer's sticker on them. Crawl under and take a look.

5-lug is, usually, ~3500lb rated.
6-lug is, usually, ~5200lb rated.
8-lug is, usually ~7200lb rated.

#14 ·
A helpful reply! thanks. They are 3500 lb axles. The reason its an 8000 gvw is because this particular manufacturer adds some tongue weight into their gvw. I wonder if I can get a 15 x 6 rim in 5 lug then. Im not after 11k of rating. But if I put my skid on this trailer it will be legal but right at its limit. I just cant see putting it on top of these little wheels and tires.

#15 ·
been thru this before, 3500 and 5200 uses same diameter axle tube, wall thickness is different. use same inside bearing and the outter is same id what wider. 6,7,and 8k same way. same id on bearings and use same inner bearing, the outers are different for each weight class. 9 and 10k are like this also, but quite a bit larger than 6-8k. I will say this is true on dexter axles not sure on others.

#16 ·
been thru this before, 3500 and 5200 uses same diameter axle tube, wall thickness is different. use same inside bearing and the outter is same id what wider. 6,7,and 8k same way. same id on bearings and use same inner bearing, the outers are different for each weight class. 9 and 10k are like this also, but quite a bit larger than 6-8k. I will say this is true on dexter axles not sure on others.
That's not always true on bearings My trailer has 2 3500 axles runs a smaller bearing then My trailer has 2 5200 axles

#17 ·
I wonder if I can get a 15 x 6 rim in 5 lug then.
Yep. That's no problem.

225 width needs a 6" rim, while 205 width needs a 5" rim.

I'd highly suggest using the Maxxis tires. They're made in Thailand; not China, like the rest. I follow another site where guys are always running overloaded and speeding. They swear by them. That's what I went with. My 6-ply looked like water balloons ready to burst. The 10-ply definitely better support the weight. There are some other commercial-type tires available, but, they're over $300 each. The Maxxis are $120 each.

Be sure you use TR600 valve stems, as they're rated for 100psi. The standard TR413 are only rated to 65psi.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.