1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by precisionlawn, Feb 23, 2003.

1. precisionlawn

precisionlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have roughly $3000 for the rest of my equiptment needs.

This is what I already have so you dont get confused: w/no detail because I dont want criticism on what I already own.

48" w/b
    21" push mower
    6'x12' trailer
    hedge trimmer
    From this list below what do you think I can get for roughly $3000? Oh, and please tell me if I'm missing anything.

36" w/b (new or used)
    Line Trimmer
    Blower (back pack)
    Sulke (if possible)
    Aerator/de-thatcher (?)

Thank you
  2. troblandscape

troblandscape Guest

I think you will be able to get all for 3g's the mower you will have to get used, Good Luck
  3. precisionlawn

precisionlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I'm curious as to what I can get (best bang for buck)?
  4. MIKEJ

MIKEJ LawnSite Member

Put the $3000.00 into the equipment that you need the most and will make you more profitable. If you dont do alot of aerations, then it would make more sense to rent the aerator as needed . less maintenance on equipment also.I am a big fan of buying new mowers over used , so I would opt for a new 36" w/b. Just my opinion. Let the $3000.00 make you more money. Dont rush and buy wisely. Good luck
  5. Bill Davis

Bill Davis LawnSite Senior Member

I would find a nice used w/b with a good two wheel sulky. Then I would buy a Shindaiwa T-270. Then if you have any left purchase a nice blower. I think that would be the smartest.
    P.S. I like the Sthil BR420 blower.:)
  6. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

If I read right, You have a wide walkbehind mower and a small mower. If you are running solo that should be enough. You also have a way to haul it all. You have an edger and hedge trimmer.

What you still need for mowing maintenance- is a good straight shaft trimmer. (with an edgit, But that's another story )
    and a blower. A handheld blower will do (that's all I use) But if you prefer a backpack then that will do also.

If you need to bag grass then get an aluminum mess catcher for your 48" WB. And if yo have enough left get a sulky for the 48"

You can rent power rakes and aerators when you need them. Just line up several jobs at a time and rent the machine for the 1/2 or the whole day.

Hope that helps.
  7. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

Put a 16 ft. trailer on the list. Not ragging just letting you know if you're going to grow you're going to need a bigger trailer. I'm in that situation now.
  8. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Do you really NEED a 36" too? Are you solo? If you have the 48" and a 21" I would say to try to get by with those IF you can.
    To have 3 mowers that close in size for a solo is a bit of a waste.
    Now, if you're going to have a helper, forget what I just said.
    By the way, I paid $2000 for my 36" Exmark on sale 2 years ago. Not sure what they run now.

As far as the aerator, I would just try to line them all up for one day and rent one. Unless aerating is a large part of your business right now, it wouldn't make sense to buy one just yet.

Straight shaft trimmer. I use Shindaiwa T-230's and love them. Think I paid about $239 each on sale (maybe $249?).

For backpack blowers, I currently use Poulon Pro's that I bought for about $200 each brand new on ebay. I know there are more powerful ones out there, but for the money I spent, I'm happy with my purchases. As I've said before, they do what I need them to do.

Also look on ebay for sulkies. There's a guy that makes them and sells them on there pretty regularly, and pretty affordable. I don't know how good they are, I just see his auctions all the time, but might be worth looking into.

Other then that, I'd say use some of the money (assuming you don't use it all on a 36" mower), on uniform shirts to look professional. Get a program for you computer to do invoicing, estimates, proposals, etc.

Good luck.
  9. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

If you can afford it, you might try to get a split boom when you get a trimmer so you can use it for other things later on. In fact, Echo has a nice split boom that you can get a dethatcher attachment for, not heard any reports on it but it is worth checking into maybe. split boom would be a good investment for your biz. The blowers IMHO depends on size of driveways and lawns and how you will be doing leaf removal. For postage stamp lawns a handheld is faster and easier than a backpack but if it is a bit larger of a drive or on wet days you will want a backpack blower, or if you do alot of leaf work with it, but a handheld will blow leaves out of beds and you can usually get vacuum attachments for them if that would be of any use to you.
    Not very long ago I thought like you in that I needed a mower of every size. I have a 21" lawnboy, 32" Toro RER, 38" JD w/b and 52" Scag w/b. I knew I needed to sell either the Toro or JD and was gonna keep the other but now I realize guys here are right, for small solo ops you could get by with a 21" this year and the 48" and next year if you have alot of areas for a 36" that justify it's cost then get it. You can pick up a decent used one for well under a thousand, i've seen good ones for $500 in perfect shape. Sulkies, get the two wheeled ones not one wheeled. They rut too easily and leave a third tire mark down your stripes. I have actually heard of customers complaining about that causing the local LCO to have to remove it on their lawn!!!
    Catchers I don't know alot about but Accelerator makes a nice lightweight aluminum one. Here's some websites to help:
    Aerator I would agree with everyone else, just rent it as needed for now unless you're getting a tow behind like a MTD or Brinly something (not recommended) which don't cost alot but there is reasons for that.
    Dethatcher, JRCO makes a nice one that lots of people praise highly. It runs $399 with mounting brackets and quick hitch for a 46" model for your 48" w/b. Use the catcher on it and make it a one pass process.
    Here is a good sulky:

I hoped this helped some.
  10. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a Stihl br420magnum on ebay and I am VERY satisfied with it however after I bought it new on ebay I aked Stihl and they said NO WARRANTY on internet purchases " It is against our company policy" I really do reccomend it but, buy it from a dealer you will get treated much better in the long run. I also have to say look for a good used belt drive 36" you probaly can get one for about $500-600. If you have a welder or a friend that welds then it would be really easy to make one. It probaly would only take about 1-1.5 hrs to make. www.alamia.com They have some sulkies for a areasonable price. You could go on ebay and get one there is someone selling them for about $150 and they look pretty solid. I agree with the renting an aerator Idea; if you rent one and get all the aeration in one day you will make lots of profit with minimal overhead. Good Luck, if you have any questions just P.M. or email me.:) :) :)