Equipment Advice, want get started with systems

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Deputy_Swan, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Deputy_Swan

Deputy_Swan LawnSite Member

Hello, in past I have helped couple guys install sprinkler systems, they all had there preferences as to what equipment they used and what kinda pipe they used. I am looking to go out on my own this year doing a few installs, and am looking for some more advice on what I should use and equipment I should purchase.

I like rainbird so going to use them, I prefer poly pipe over PVC.. as here it gets cold early in the fall, poly will give some if it freezes.. The thing I am tore between is, get a piece equipment that can vib plow the pipe in, or use a trencher on like a walk behind skid steer, or both? What do you prefer and why?

Thanks in advance! :clapping:

2. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

Pulling poly is much easier then pvc or using a trencher. Others may say different

3. Mike from Canada

Mike from Canada LawnSite Member

with a trencher you have to dig the trench, put pipe in, then re-fll trench. With a plow you just have to pull pipe which is faster then trenching and than dig a hole for your sprinklers and connections.

4. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

2 posts and no mention of remotes or pigtails?

has fimco been kidnapped?:confused:

i think that pullers and trenchers are regional and dependent upon soils condition. pullers would work in 5% of the ground in my area and are not even found in rental yards here.

5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Rental yards can be a good clue to whether plowing is viable - no plow available can mean no good conditions for plowing

6. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

bingo.......

7. Waterlogged

Waterlogged LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

If I asked someone around here if they used a plow they would say
    " no I'm not a farmer " :laugh:

8. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

9. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I recall a cartoon that showed the farmer and his wife. He said, "well, time to go hit the old plow." The next caption was of him walking into the liquor store and saying, "give me a bottle of "Old Plow." :drinkup:

10. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

I totally prefer to pull poly over trench any day...less clean up, faster work.IMHO.

If you have a ton of rocks / clay you might want to trench....Might want to get a sod cutter if plant mass is in the ground...

Good luck..Do yourself a favor and hang hunter clocks...Great remote hook ups, easy to use, great price available..