Equipment Advice

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by HumphreyCA, Jan 17, 2007.

1. HumphreyCA

HumphreyCA LawnSite Member

Hi to all, Was wondering if anyone had some reccomendations on equipment.
    I just started the business 4 months ago in SW Fl, so normally do not deal with huge Lawns, so the question is; what is best, a zero turn, regular rider, or a walkbehind, especially when most lawns are landscaped, or have poolcages that take up most of the back. Any advice would be appreciated, Thanks

Grasshopper Lawnscape
  2. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

Cubcadet has a nice semi-commercial zero-turn model i believe is a 50-khs. Last time I checked it was only $5k everything on it is as tuff as there big tanks but the deck is stamped instead of welded. Or check out ebay under home and gardens. Lots of z's down there in Florida
  3. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

take a look at a eXmark TTHP walkbehind, or
    eXmark Phazer and Lazer HP ztr
    but do yourself a big favor, stay away from a regular rider
  4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I would definitly go with a commercial machine over a standard rider. From how you describe it, I would stick with a WB to start. If you can afford it, start out with a hydro drive wb. I would not look into a big rider unless you have several large lawns to justify it. Even then, since your satarting out, I would look into used or demo equipment to save some money. Once you get off the ground, and are sure this is for you, you can upgrade equipment if nessecary!
    How big are the properties you are mowing? Do they have any hills? What is your budget for this mower?
  5. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

If there smaller yards Id stick to a Walk behind there cheaper

SILVERSTREAK INC LawnSite Senior Member

also walkbehinds do a nicer cut, less turfage when turning (it takes practive to do nice k turn) and they dont squash down the bed edge when you drive around tree rings. definately the 60 inch walkbehing hydro drive with a sulky is the best route, or if you have some smaller yards get a 48 or 52, although unless youre gonna be inside small gates or have some hilly yards with difficult areas, bigger is better youll find. also youll build you biz fast just by word of mouth, homeowner joes seem to hate landscrapers with lazers... i guess they fell that theyre getting robbed with you sitting there?

but everybody starts with their old 48" belt drive unless they have some money layin around to get a hydro

good luck!