Equipment and Rain

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CALandscapes, Mar 6, 2008.

1. CALandscapes

CALandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

I recently added another maintenance rig, and the trailer is open. Up until this point, I ran an enclosed trailer for maintenance.

I'm wondering what type of potential damage rain may do to my equipment, now that it's exposed to the elements?

Also, if the rain is a serious threat, any suggestions on quick, easy ways to protect the equipment?

Thanks,

Chase

2. LawnMastersTx

LawnMastersTx LawnSite Member

I keep a tarp at the front of my trailer that can easily cover all my equipment if it starts raining hard. Tarp was $15 at Wal-Mart, so it if gets damaged no worries.

Rain is bad for small equipment. I have cleaned out a few carborators b/c of it. Also make sure that if you have gas tank that the water cannot get into the tank. Had an old gas tank that didnt have the thing at the end of the spout that stops gas from pouring out, well it let the water in too. Had some watered down gas =(

3. RGM

RGM LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Baltimore Md

I hate to say it but I hardly ever cover up my stuff anymore and It all still runs fine. I would'nt leave a trimmer or any 2 stroke out in rain and do cover up my equipment in off season.

4. GrassmasterB

GrassmasterB LawnSite Member
    from Florida

plastic grocery bags with handles can be tied on the engines of your 2 cycle stuff. keeps the water out and they're free.

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

If you have any gear drive mowers make sure the tranny is covered. I have repaired Peerless trannies in the past that had water in them.

6. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

Big Mowers and tractors seem to handle the rain ok. Anything with vent caps are a problem. We keep our stuff inside most of the time. I use a vinyl car cover on my tractor.

7. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

All of my equipment gets exposed to the rain from time to time. I do tarp my trailer at night or when not in use. I have a shed, but only store equipment in it that will not be used for awhile. I have some equipment that has been in use for more than 4 years now. Water has never caused any problems for me. Sure the weather ages the equipment some too, but as hard as we run our equipment, I don't think the weather will send it to the grave any sooner than our heavy usage will. Water can get into carbs and stuff like that, but you would be more likely to have problems from bad gas or trash in the fuel than water in my opinion.

8. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

i got this HD tarp at wal-mart also for $20 it covers about a foot down the front, back and sides. got 2 lazers under there and all of the handheld stuff.
    i just roll it up on top of the cage on front. i have rubber bungee cords in all of the grommets so i can trailer it covered up if need be.

IMG_3266.JPG

IMG_3266.JPG

9. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

After the rain is over or at the shop I run all wet engines to dry electrical systems up.

10. markahurley

markahurley LawnSite Senior Member

i have a hard time understanding the logic of those who don't protect their equipment. seems to me if you're spending more on your tools than most people do on their cars, you'd want to take care of them. provided, the wear and tear of the business will take its toll on equipment over time, but that still doesn't justify just letting it go to pot by leaving everything exposed to the elements.
    there really are some inexpensive solutions that will end up saving you a lot of money in the long run. northern tool makes a canopy they call "instant garage" (or something like that) for about $300---it's a fully enclosed canopy that seems to work quite well.
    a few dollars of preventative maintenance will save you exponentially in the future--you'll save money from fewer repairs, easier maintenance, longer life of your machines, and better resale value. not to mention nicer looking equipment and a better company image.
    all that being said, i can't understand why you wouldn't take the necessary steps to protect your equipment.