Equipment and the weather, hmmm

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by awayneward, Apr 11, 2004.

1. awayneward

awayneward LawnSite Member

I am wondering, should I put a tarp over my Mowers, Blower and Trimmer when it rains? I have been told that it will not hurt them, but, logic seems to indicate that it can't be good for them.

2. Four Season's

Four Season's LawnSite Member
    from Maine

I always put my trailer / equipment in the garage when its going to rain and at night. I personally think its a good idea to keep the equipment nice and dry.

3. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Once every now and then won't hurt them, but by the way you are talking you are keeping them outside. I would def. put something over them if you are keeping them outside all the time. Maybe even invest in a little shed or something.

4. twwlawn

twwlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Get one of those portable sheds, I used one when I first started until I got my shed. I never kept equipment outside, keep them covered at least with a tarp.

5. awayneward

awayneward LawnSite Member

I live in a subdivision with a homeowners association and they dictate how much air we can use :). So putting up a shed or any type of covered area is not an option. And the garage has been converted into a Den. I will put a tarp over the equipment when weather threatens. Thank you for your help.

6. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Try to invest in an enclosed trailer when you have the extra money. Not only will it be a portable garage to store your equipment in, but if it's anything like the DOT in MN here, you won't have nearly the headache. Plus it makes for a very nice billboard.

7. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

The LCO I work for, we always cover the trailer at night with a tarp. Once in awhile, the rain dosent hurt them, but especially with machines that have electric starts or electronic components, rain will start to have them cause problems.

8. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

Rain and weather is one thing...... what about your $$$ equipment getting stolen? If you're in a development, atleast try and "hide" it under a tarp. I leave my equipment in the back of my dumptruck, with a tarp tied down, then backed up against my garage. They could probably still get mine, but they'd have to work at it, and do it very quietly.
    Ever think of getting a van, that you could just park and lock up, also safe fromt he weather conditions.
    What type of equipment are you using, wb's? 21"'s?

9. C & T

C & T LawnSite Member

Look into putting your equiptment and trailer at a local storage facility. This will keep it out of the elements and possible theft.

Shawn

10. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

Go top the top of this site and hit the sponsors button. Then click on W.E. Chapps. They have covers for everything. We run an open trailer for many reasons, but when we travel down the road, and in a storm our stuff is covered. Some of our covers came from W.E. Chapps and they work OK.