1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Equipment and training

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by gravtyklz, Apr 8, 2007.

1. gravtyklz

gravtyklz LawnSite Member

Ok I did several searches and couldnt find what I was looking for, but I'm sure this has been discussed 1.5 millions times give or take 10.

What do you guys start out with? I dont own anything really, so all would be fresh if I did this. I dont have a market plan either so I really dont even know what sort of yards I may run into. I have some ideas and what not but thats all for now.

I see a few books on amazon, and some stuff put together by other lawn care owners on ebay. Is any of this legit and worth while? If not how do you go about learning how to do all the advertising, and technical parts. I have business experience so that I'm not too worried about.

Other stuff
    As for initial investment I would only want to fork maybe $1200 in. I'm investing and managing in a mechanical construction business as well and it sort of has to be my priority. I enjoy management for the most part, but not a big fan construction anymore....atleast not this type.

I may be able to get a partner or something, but I'm not too excited about partnerships really.

Thanks a lot.
  2. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

My partner and lawn site have pretty much taught me everything I know. Its not rocket science, but if I did it again I would have worked for another company first. As far as equipment is concerned research! I started out with a single axle trailer and realized quickly that it was a mistake. Research is important!

3. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

remember you will run in to everything out there.... BUT you dont have to accept everything......

you can get a used rider that's OK for biger lawns a few push mowers. weedeater and hand held blower......

your in Business.....

It's allways good to have someone you can recomand.... you will run into large JOBS that you cant handle be prepaired to give it away.... but when you get in contaic with someone. " another company " also let him kno that if you recomand him you would like the same respect...

this is how I started.....
  4. gravtyklz

gravtyklz LawnSite Member

Thaks for the ideas.

So you recomend instead of a commercial walk behind I pick up a used rider? I think I have a wacker and a blower I could use.

Is that approach gonna be better than trying to get a walk behind or something? Where I live is called "Hill City", and it deserves the name it has.

What about these books, and ebay stuff? Is it worth reading all of that and paying $10-$20 for it?