1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Equipment Check

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by grassassassin, Aug 31, 2007.

1. grassassassin

grassassassin LawnSite Member

What do you guys like for equipment? Let's not debate pulling versus trenching. Looking for a machine that can do both. How about the dingo? Anyone think one is more reliable than another?
  2. justgeorge

justgeorge LawnSite Senior Member

If you want to be able to pull and trench with the same machine then I'd recommend a Ditch Witch 410sx. Get it with the boring attachment and then you can bore under driveways too.
  3. germann

germann LawnSite Senior Member

We tried a Dingo 4paw with a v-plow, and had lots of headaches. It would not turn, and would get pulled slowly down even slight slopes. We ended up pulling first and digging later because we couldn't hit our targets. We also had to use a pry bar to slide the machine sideways to correct direction. A light rain came up, the grass got slick, and the tires would just spin. The soil was fairly hard and dry, but I was unimpressed. I don't have experience with dedicated machines, but folks here seem to have good results, even in poor conditions.
  4. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

I use a Ditch Witch SK350 for plowing pipe in. You could get that and a trencher attachment.... very capable machine, and lots of available attachments to give you great versatility.
  5. SpartanBill

SpartanBill LawnSite Member

I ran a Ditch Witch 410sx for years and loved it, pulled like a champ, trenched very well, sometimes got a little sketchy on slopes but I never rolled it, 2 co-workers did however(both operator error not machine). It's not tiny, if you are doing a lot small cookie cutter sites, it can be kinda big between houses.

I'm seriouly considering a Boxer for pulling pipe and trenching silt fence. And adding other attachments later. Anybody have experience pulling pipe with a mini-skid-steer. I assume tracks are a must.
  6. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I've put about 500 hours on a 410sx.

Definitely not a small machine, but still, definitely the best machine for both worlds.
  7. LCPullman

LCPullman LawnSite Senior Member

I use a Case maxi sneaker. It works real well, though you do have to watch it if you are trying to go sideways on slopes. It has lots of power, with a good blade, it will even plow though hard clay. Easy to turn while plowing.
    I have used the Dingo tracked machine with the plow. It pulls in a straight line really well. But you have a tough time turning the machine while plowing. One side tends to just slip. It does quite well on slopes though, a stable machine.

Either of these machines could trench with a trencher attachment.

I would say that if you are just installing sprinklers get a dedicated machine. Though, if you are dealing with really tight spaces, the tracked Dingo is more compact and maneuverable and quite a capable machine.
  8. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

X2 2 on the maxi sneaker. the thing i like about the maxi is that you can sit on it and eyeball down the center of the machine to your mark.
  9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Is Case still handling maintenance and parts on the Sneakers?
  10. LCPullman

LCPullman LawnSite Senior Member

As far as I know they are. But I haven't really needed much by way of parts.