Equipment cost

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by delphied, Aug 4, 2007.

1. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

I dont think it can be denied that fees for mowing lawns are in a downward spiral. On the flip side, equipment costs are going up, up, up. The dealers are, for the most part, holding prices high and not really budging. Take for example, Exmark. The price of the mowers are usually within $300 across the country. Im trying to buy an Accelerator catcher. All locals give the same price, $559. Since when do you pay full rippin retail wherever you shop? I tried to purchase Shindaiwa last year from a guy in another state because he wasnt fixing his prices. That worked once until his distributor caught wind of it. The dealer said he couldnt ship to me anymore because Shinny said so. Thats not the American way but then again, Shinny isnt American is it. But the American companies have learned well from the foreign companies havent they? These companies have had it too good for too long. The fact is they are getting into our pockets like never before. People need to think a little more before paying top dollar.
  2. delphied

Is this a non issue?
  3. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I believe it all boils down to service. You say that mowing fees are declining. Might be in your area. Down here, I'm one of the highest priced LCO's in my area. Why? Because I deliver exceptional service and am extemely reliable. If we get rained out I send e mails to everyone explaining that we won't be there that day, but will be there tomorrow or as soon as weather permits. I also send out birthday cards, and Christmas cards to my customers. Think of it like this, do you want to shop at Wal-Mart where service is non-exsistant to save a buck or two, or shop at Neiman Marcus have your butt kissed and pay for it.

I hope my dealer makes money on me. He should, that's what he is in business for. I don't bother to shop his prices. I know he is higher on somethings but I don't care. Why? Because when I come into his shop he will always offer me something to drink or eat, take care of whatever is broken down, give me a demo, sends me business, offers words of encouragement. So, to answer your last post, it's a non issue for me.
  4. MTR999

MTR999 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Again, some are true but you can save good money IF you shop around like used parts or classified. Every dealer is in to make MONEY, like car dealers, you can defend them but I just have half-hearted feel for them, it won't hurt to save and budget instead of throwing money at high price for them. It is like taking your car to your dealer mechanic who will ruthlessly chop you to pieces with ear to ear smile and mercy but brutal on your pocket...get picture? Meanwhile, you can find and shop for tame mechanic who has great skill and much much lower price of service, bottomline honesty, can you find honesty at dealer? never.
  5. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't lump car dealers in with lawn equipment dealers. I spent a bunch of years in the car biz, so I know where you are coming from. I know every trick in the book when it comes to the car business. I want a solid relationship with equipment dealer because if I have a problem with a piece of equipment, I want it taken care of now, not tomorrow, next week whatever. My dealer gives me that kind of service. In return, I pay for that service either through equipment cost, or labor charges. Either way, it's a win-win situation. If I'm buying a new car or truck, that's a different story. I'll walk into the dealership, speak to the General Sales Manager and cut right through the BS in a hurry
  6. SpartanBill

SpartanBill LawnSite Member

Prices are ridiculus around here too.
  7. MattsMowing3535

MattsMowing3535 LawnSite Senior Member

So, let me get this straight. You are telling us all that we should go and find lowballers? I think its more of a problem that people are dragging lawncare prices down by lowballing while the retail is staying the same becuse they dont really have lowballers. My dealer is always really nice to me knows every piece of equipment i have ever bought from him and if Ive got a problem he does whatever he can to help. Id pay some extra money on mower just to know that I could come back and have it fixed when I need it fixed!
  8. delphied

I used to buy into that getting it fixed when I need it fixed crap. I had a trimmer quit under warranty. Ill get it in 2 days and no I dont have one to borrow my friendly dealer said. He tried to get me to buy a spare. ROFL. I was able to borrow from a friend.
  9. Mr Priceless

Mr Priceless LawnSite Senior Member

10. HS Football Rules

HS Football Rules LawnSite Member

"I wouldn't lump car dealers in with lawn equipment dealers."

Why not? I think the distinction should be "reputable" whether with
    cars, boats, or $10,000 lawn mowers.

I too am looking for a solid relationship with a dealer..but that
    doesn't mean I'm forced to pay list.

If I set up a crew with $17,000 worth of equipment....a couple of percentage points isn't out of the question...he still makes plenty...and I save a little.

I priced a Ferris IS1500 25/52.....4 dealers....low was $6999..
    next was $ was $7800....last was $8299. My point is
    there is plenty of markup for the a little sumpin sumpin off
    the top for us is completely fair.