Equipment Costs

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by TooTall, Jan 5, 2006.

1. TooTall

TooTall LawnSite Member

Looking for equipment cost information to calculate cost of ownership and cost of operation to make decisions regarding equipment purchase, accumulated repair costs versus trade-ins. Anyone have any references they use, or how do you make the equipment decisions?

2. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Your question is so broad that the only easy answer is to do a search,
    Use the words "COSTS, PROFIT, OVERHEAD, NET, GROSS, MAINTENANCE, LIFE EXPECTANCY.

After reading a lot of info on this site come back with specific questions and we can help you better.

3. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

Blah,blah,blah to all that. There's an easy formula. How much income will it generate! If your cutting 10 lawns a week, don't spend 13K on a rider. If your only using that skid stear 1 day a month, rent it instead. New equipment shouldn't have any real maintenance costs for the first 2 years.:)

4. PMLAWN

Not sure what you are trying to say. Someone asks about how to figure overhead and you say it is meaningless. And what kind of equipment can I get that does not need blade changes or oil changes for 2 years. Or am I wrong for figuring out how to pay for the time that someone is under the mower cleaning the deck.
    And by the way I have a few mowers that are 2 years old now so you can buy them for the same cost I paid new as you say there is no deprecation.

Is this what you really ment by your answer?

5. PMLAWN

There is a great book by James R. Huston that has a lot of good info about what you ask,
    "How to Price Landscape & Irrigation Projects"
    Lots of cost figures.

Sorry about turflords answer, Not sure what that is all about.

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

You mean 10 small lawns I hope. As for new equipment not having any real maintenance costs, that is not entirely true. Do your PM on any piece of equipment for 2 years vs doing absolutely nothing to a comparable unit with the same number of operating hours and then come back and tell me what you think...